Beyond The Turbo/IC

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
As some of you know I added the turbo and intercooler this year andalso the shift kit to my E40D. I was hoping the shift kit would help the E40D survive a few more thousand mils. I knew it was a pipe dream, buit I had to try.

No such luck this time. 2nd gear in the E40D went south a few weeks ago. So it was rebuild time.

Had a local shop here do it. I supplied the Steel planetary gears and he provided all other parts. Replaced stock TC with a billet low stall (1500-1800 rpm). Used Sonnax valve body upgrade kit to increase line pressure. Reused the Recal Pro shift kit that was installed in Feb. It now shifts fast and hard. Shift is light when at low throttle and pretty aggressive at high throttle. I don't think I'll burn out the clutches now, but the next thing to go will probably be the driveshaft ujoints, which are to be replaced soon.

Did a 75 mile test tow of my 20'GN with side bodies installed. The power is definately there. Pulled a 3 mile grade (1 mile at near 13%) near my house and it is like a new truck. Started the pull at 50mph and lowest speed was 40mph. Max egt was 1050. Tranny hit 185 at top of hill.

The lower TC lockup is great. It gets the power to the wheels much quicker now and it really wants to pour the fuel and boost to the engine. The boost increases much quicker now.

Got out on highway and ran 30-40 miles at 60-70 mph. This is where another problem showed itself. The engine temp got very high. It never overheated but it is too high to be dependable. Appears the fan clutch is kicking in too late. Got a new one on order. Tranny temp got up to 215 also. New B&M plate cooler also on order to be installed in series with stock cooler.

I'll install the fan clutch and tranny cooler and try it again. I don't know how much the IC is blocking airflow to the radiator, but an airdam of some sort may be necessary to pull air up from under the bumper to get more air to the radiator and tranny coller. Also. I'm going to do the turbo cutouts in front bumper until I can find a good used turbo bumper for a reasonable price.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I did the bumper cutouts on my truck and installed an air dam between the bumper and the radiator. Any air that gets thru the front of the bumper and grill will go thru the radiator. The cutoutes have made working on the motor so much easier. I have somewhere of step thru to reach the motor now...:thumbsup:

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
I hadn't thought about the extra benny on the cutouts as steps. Good deal!!

Did you see a significant engine temp change?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you see a significant engine temp change?
My truck does run warmer but not unmanageable.
No issues pulling 15k GN through AZ & NM in 110deg heat
AC on the other hand........
the R134 conversion in a R12 system sucked to the root.
It got bad enough the system vented while sitting in Phoenix traffic. Very embarassing. everyone around me thought the truck was on fire.
the 99 and newer choker trucks have the AC in the front, IC in the middle and the radiator in the rear. Oh yea, the tranny cooler is in front of the AC.
215 is not high for trans oil temp. 240 is. But if you're worried about it, install a electric fan in front of the trans cooler.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
towcat,
I don't have a good water temp gauge on the truck yet. Still using the qriginal. The needle went over to at least 7/8 gauge. Never got to the H though. Didn't boil over either.

The tranny temp did show 225 while I was unhooking the GN (215 max while moving), but as soon as I pulled off for a cool down run it dropped back to 190 pretty quick. I have thought about fans for when I am in traffic though.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Fan clutch is on. A 5"x24" hole cut into front bumper. Now its time for a test run to see what cooling temps do.

Anybody know where I can buy 1/4-1/2" SS diamond wire mesh? Need it to install behind bumper cutout. Then i'll put some rubber/plastic edging around cutout for looks.

tuckerd1

WAR DAMN EAGLE!
Reaction score
Its working now. Set cruise on 65 and ran about 40 miles on cruise. Coolant temps ran 1/2 - 5/8 gauges with max 3/4 pulling a long grade. But the fan kicks in now when it should. The temps are a little higher than before the IC. It is blocking some air. The bumper cutout helped too. Tranny temps were down to 190-195. Still going to install the B&M cooler. It should be much better than the stock cooler.

BTW, those temps were at 800 egt and a constant 5# boost.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do me a favor...so we have a central reference point for EGT feedback, find the "let's talk pyro's" thread and post as much info as you have.
thanks!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Anybody know where I can buy 1/4-1/2" SS diamond wire mesh? Need it to install behind bumper cutout. Then i'll put some rubber/plastic edging around cutout for looks.

If you have a Tractor Supply store nearby, they usually carry that stuff.

--------Robert