Best economy chip for 7.3 psd ?

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all , My Father has just brought himself an 03 F250 7.3 psd - it has 460km on the clock but has had an $8500 trans rebuild and a new turbo in the last 12 months .It's Brazilian built factory rhd .... he picked it up for 25 k which is a bargain here as that's about the cost of a rhd conversion if we'd imported it.

He brought it to tow his boat which weighs about 3.5 ton and is looking for a programmer that can tune for economy and also tune for towing ...... our speed limit here for towing is 90km/hr (55mph ish) and 2/3 of his 400 mile trip would be in hilly terrain with many 20 mph corners.

What do you guys reckon would be the best programmer to buy?

You must be registered for see images attach

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a 2 position superchip program on tow safe to my 2003 e350 with 7.3/4r100. it lost me aprox 1 mile per gallon towing but improved the shifting so much from stock I left it in and ended up retiring the van about 200,000 km later at almost 560,000 km . no issues with trans , fuel pump puked on crappy diesel and I decide to call it a loss.

my van had 235/85/16s and 3.55 gears, I played around with different tire sizes but didn't change my economy much, with 215/85/16s it had a little more snot into hills . i my van weighed in around 7000lbs and I pulled anything from 4500lbs to over 10,000lbs gross. my trailer weighs 3000lbs empty.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you need to repair the steering wheel as it is on the wrong side of the cabin :D

Second as mentioned try to get a hydra chip....I have TDP economy tuning and it gets me another mpg or two.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you need to repair the steering wheel as it is on the wrong side of the cabin :D

Second as mentioned try to get a hydra chip....I have TDP economy tuning and it gets me another mpg or two.

Well we got the Hydra Chip . fitted it and what a different truck to drive - can actually clean up a 3.2 ranger until 65mph now!!!!!

That took a Brazilian team a long time to get the steering wheel moved over :):) so i think we'll just have to leave it there for now LOL

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That took a Brazilian team a long time to get the steering wheel moved over :):) so i think we'll just have to leave it there for now LOL
As I've said before, the steering wheel is on the "right side" down in the southern hemisphere :p
Our A/c systems have a lot longer pipes/hoses due to the RHD conversion too !o_O

fraree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all , My Father has just brought himself an 03 F250 7.3 psd - it has 460km on the clock but has had an $8500 trans rebuild and a new turbo in the last 12 months .It's Brazilian built factory rhd .... he picked it up for 25 k which is a bargain here as that's about the cost of a rhd conversion if we'd imported it[/ATTACH]
Mate, he got a pretty good buy for $25k, they're $45k upwards over here for those models :)

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mate, he got a pretty good buy for $25k, they're $45k upwards over here for those models :)
Yep , he did well ..... been looking for a couple of years and when this one came up he just whipped out the checkbook - mostly they are 40k upwards here unless there is something wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight

Members online