best cummins overall

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Just what it says if you could pick any cummins 5.9 for your truck what would you pick considering HP, ease of modding,reliability, and if it does brake does it cost a fortune to fix,fuel mileage, WVO ability, and anything else you would consider for a new motor:confused:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
12V - I researched them quite extensively when I went shopping and it all boiled down to the 12v - with the Manual's coming out on top (for my driving style) then with the last ones being the most desireable (215hp pump vs the 180hp I own).

You thinking of upgrading a bit.

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
Factory motors?? Second Gen 12Valves are really the best, considering the P7100 IP pump, and the piston lift pump, and with the manuals being a higher rated pump. then the good old VE IP pumped 12 valves. (got one of those)

However I think the ulitmate would be a 24valve with the P-pump conversion. They put more valves in it for a reason!

for easy and cheap HP, the VE equiped 89-93 12 valves are the cheapest to instantly turn up, how does almost 100 HP for FREE strike ya? after that the price goes up quickly. Reliability? I have 336K on the original motor, a friend of mine has 450K on an original motor. some have more. It all really depends on driving habits, and maint. habits.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
well its this way I have so much time and money invested in the truck that I wanna know my options if something happens to the motor right now its got 215k on it and its eating antifreeze. I think its external cause I can smell it but I have yet to been able to find a leak. If the motor needs replaced and I can have a motor that can be modded for the same price as one that can't I'll go with the swap

cgraham

Reaction score
I would love to have Superduty with a CommonRail Cummins:love: .
But in an older truck a 12 valve would probably be the easiest to swap and the easiest to modify.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
well its this way I have so much time and money invested in the truck that I wanna know my options if something happens to the motor right now its got 215k on it and its eating antifreeze. I think its external cause I can smell it but I have yet to been able to find a leak. If the motor needs replaced and I can have a motor that can be modded for the same price as one that can't I'll go with the swap

And if you do it, I get invited to help, right? ;Sweet

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For duraiblity I would say late 12V engines are the best out there... They tend to burn anything for fuel (WVO, WEO, Kerosene, JET A, etc...)

But for easy of MODing the 24V engines are the best... Just plug n' play.. everything is adjustable from inside the cab compared to the 12V you got to break out the ol' tool box to set/change power...

But that my personal opinion...:rolleyes:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I have to agree with you that having the ablility to change how the truck reacts from inside the cab would be nice. My buddy has a 24v and he keeps it on econ setting most of the time but when he wants to play it's a couple button pushes later and the truck runs totally different. That would be nice.