Belt Tensioner

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
My tensioner bit the dust so i went to advanced auto and autozone and they dont list one for my 94 and the one for a 92 or 93 is a lil different and won't work! What gives? Has anyone else had this problem for a 94? Are the brackets different?

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tensioner just went out last week and I got a new one from napa. Whenever I order parts from them I tell them its a 93 or else i always get powerstroke parts somehow, even when they checked the VIN engine code. But the 93 one should be exactly the same, its been working on my truck for a week now.

liddledoggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from what i know there are 3 different belt tensioners. open spring like on my 93, enclosed spring like on my 94 they dont interchange and there is one with damper (shockabsorber) that i know nothing about. the two i have used to be available at autozone but i looked on there website and only found the open spring type. joe

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
from what i know there are 3 different belt tensioners. open spring like on my 93, enclosed spring like on my 94 they dont interchange and there is one with damper (shockabsorber) that i know nothing about. the two i have used to be available at autozone but i looked on there website and only found the open spring type. joe

This is so true. I use the shock absorber type tensioner. I also carry a spare tensioner and idler behind the rear seat. A 36 inch breaker bar makes installing the new belts much easier too... The belt is behind the rear seat too....:angel:

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
Bit the bullet (cause i needed my truck) and went to napa and paid $100 with tax for the enclosed spring tensioner that my truck takes. On the good side it has a lifetime warranty ! Works flawlessly and no more belt sqweek !

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Bit the bullet (cause i needed my truck) and went to napa and paid $100 with tax for the enclosed spring tensioner that my truck takes. On the good side it has a lifetime warranty ! Works flawlessly and no more belt sqweek !

Now go to ebay and pay around $40.00 for a spare tensioner and place it behind the seat. Add an idler pulley and a serpentine belt and your all set for trouble free road side repairs...

biggin92

Yeeeee Haaawwww
Reaction score
i would have bought two from ebay if they had the one i need , but all they have is the flimsey looking exposed spring tensioner

mattplumber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with Gary. I bought the updated engine bracket and dampened tensioner, after I went through several enclosed spring tensioners and serp belts rather suddenly. Solved all my problems. The bad news was that when they ran the search at my dealer for the part number that I got from towcats parts bin file, It only showed like 4 or 5 of those brackets left in the dealer network and one of the 4 or 5 left was right here at my local dealer. I was told that it was a discontinued item so when the last few are gone from inventories there will be no more.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Another part goes on the list of never to return again...Sure glad I have a complete spare srepentine belt setup with mounts and pulleys... Good to have spares sometimes... Nope... they aren't behind the rear seat either....:D:sly s

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI: all of the tensioners suck. I've broken both styles, with dampener and without. The last one I bought was the non-dampener style and I did get my local Ford dealer to warranty it as it was less than a year old. They didn't however, warranty the belt and the idler wheel that it took out when it failed.

My suggestion: keep a spare with you and hope it breaks someplace "friendly".

Good luck.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a lot of trouble finding the tensioner too. Found a new one on Ebay. That hard thing was finding one with the shock absorber. The IDI VIN has been a lot of fun so far finding parts. Even simple things like air and fuel filters and belts.... >.<

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Yours being a 94...it's just so much easier telling the goon behind the parts counter that your truck is a 92 F250...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online