BEEN TOO LONG! ISSUES: Facet and water pump

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome back riotwarrior, and the advice from all of you.

I can time the IP easily, so I'm not too worried about that, also, the return lines can take 11psi easily, the IP is what we worry about over-running. Also, the Duralift has a check valve in it already because of the pump design it is required.

Although a lot of you put these Duralifts on the pax fender wall, I placed mine at the drivers rail about 18" forward the tank diverter/selector. No matter if they're pullers or pushers, I'm a firm believer in placing pumps as close as possible to the fluids source. Several reasons, bleed time to pump is really fast, especially since a rail mount is slightly below even a nearly empty tank which help with a slight gravity feed, and if tank is full, it will fill itself without use of the pump. Once pump is bled, it's a race to the top. When I service the block filter, and Duralift at the same time, both being empty, by the time I turn my key to KOEO and walk to the bleed shrader on the engines filter head, it's already squirting straight fuel.... and that was with 4-5.5psi/30gph Duralift.

There is a discussion on the boards regarding pump over-driving IP, I just couldn't find it, and since I've always had access to the 4-5.5 pump, never really thought much of the IP issue until now.

BTW- even though I have trust issues with the Edelbrock pump that has same specs as the 4-5.5 Duralift, it is working great, and the size of that thing is crazy small. It is also only $20.00-$30.00 at your local chain parts store v the $120-150 for a Duralift. A very affordable unit, you just have to put a filter in front of it as it has no internal filter. It will definitely get you home and then some. I just cannot speak of its durability/longevity.

The photo below is my emergency Edelbrock. specs are 4-7psi/38gpm. That filter you see is a 100 micron filter, which is perfect, and Duralifts screen filter is no different in micron size, just filters physical size give better flow and more volume to plug with dirty fuel.

Two downsides to this pre-packaged unit, it does come with that filter, but it is so thin walled, I bent it tightening the hose clamp, AND it only comes in 5/16..... not good for those of us who have 3/8 lines!!! And why I had to get one of those glass tube filters, which came with 1/4, 5/16, and 3/8 barbs with 1/8 male fittings. I still had to use two 5/16 fittings between filter and pump because I needed three 3/8 fittings, and the kit only came with 2 of each size I mentioned. And no, in my emergency situation, I couldn't find a straight barbed 3/8-1/8 OD of all things... very annoying, but I did have some extra 5/16 hose laying around to make my system leak free and functional.

The downstream barb is permanently pressed in, however, the suction side is a 1/8 ID and fits a 3/8 barb. My 3/8 line appeared to accept the 5/16 barb initially, but it dripped when I parked it, and I'm pretty sure it sucked a little air while driving, but not a lot. using the small glass filter solved the problem.

Lastly, there is no check valve in this Edelbrock pump if you're worried about bleed back. The upside, it pumps as fast as the Duralift.... takes nothing to bleed your filters with this.

Pump kit Part# 17302

You must be registered for see images

Again, thank you everyone for all of your input, it's very much appreciated. I hope I was able to give back some.... and yes.... I'm going to order the FLOWKOOLER in the next couple of weeks. I love buying American!!!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job riotwarrior!!!

Thanks for stepping up!

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey riotwarrior!

Did you receive a response back from FLOWKOOLER? If so, how do we order them for the OB group discount? I think I might need it sooner than later! Dadgummed POS is leaking more frequently now with greater quantity. It's time!

Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86