Bed mounted aux tank ?

SIKPUP

Reaction score
I just got a used Fuel & Tool. It is a 50 gal transfer tank and tool box. The fuel pick up is off the top of the tank so you need an electric pump to pump out the fuel. I want to pump it into my front tank by way of modifying the fill neck. My questions are....

#1, Will an electric fuel pump continue to flow fuel when in the off position ?

#2, Or will I need an electric shut off valve also ?

#3, What have you guys done ?

Thanks,
Mike:D

It is like this...http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_pdf.asp?idFile=66&idProduct=15

Last edited:

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do it.

It is probably not a good idea to connect your transfer tank directly into the fuel system on your truck - I don't see what advantage you would get for the time and trouble and possible safety issues.. Why not just use the transfer tank for what it is designed for? Put an electric pump or a hand pump on it with a filler snout and when you run out our run low, simply pump the fuel into your regular vehicle tank. You have the added advantage of being able to transfer fuel to a different vehicle if need be, and you can change fuels in the tank (diesel or gasoline <though also not recommended>) with not as much worry. You can also put an additional in-line filter on the fuel coming out of your transfer tank as well. The pick-up on transfer tanks should be off the bottom a half inch or so, and this will reduce the possibility of getting water and debris into your system also (a problem you may have if you simply tapped into the tank and connected to your regular fuel system.)

hheynow

the misanthrope
Reaction score
I'm using a hard wired 12v transfer pump. Does your tank have a drain? If so get this . The drain should be 3/8" so getting a mini 3/8" ball valve is a good idea.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Some electric pumps will continue to allow fuel to flow past it just depends on the style of pump.

Now what I did to the Enterprise is run the output from the aux tank to a six port switching valve I got from napa (supply and return) and tied it into the stock fuel system lines between the engine and stock switching valve. that way I could at the flip of a switch pull and return fuel from the aux tank or the stock fuel system. this worked great and it was pretty much idiot proof. If the toggle switch I had was flipped up (actually OFF in my case) then the engine was getting it's fuel from the aux tank and returning unused fuel to that same aux tank, then when the switch was down (actually turned on in my case) then the engine would pull fuel from/to the stock tanks then depending on which tank was selected by the STOCK fuel tank switch. this way the aux tank acted just like a factory tank.

Now the reason I did this was so that could not overfill a stock tank and have a situation where I'm pumping 100 gallons into a tank that could only hold 19... It worked like a charm with no problems.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
yep I'm with Travis on this one geyt a 6 port valve plumb it in and your all set it should be easy enough to add a fuel gauge if you want one thats what I did

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online