Bean is a master of the lost art of customer service

Gildo

Reaction score
Folks, Ryan Bean's customer service and support is in my opinion, without peer. Check this out.

I bought a TS 5 position from an authorized TS vendor in Michigan. When the chip arrived I promptly put it and $600 in a package and sent them to Ryan for a set of 160s and a reprogram. I never even installed the chip, just sent it straight to Ryan. I'm not sure what Ryan installed, but I think these are the programs:

1. High Idle
  2. Tow
  3. Race
  4. Extreme
  5. Tony Wildman Extreme
    [/list=1]

I was thoroughly impressed with the added horsepower and everything was working fine, aside from a little bit of a rough idle that I don't think is an injector problem. About a dozen Cylinder Contribution Tests have all been negative. Well, about 2 or three weeks after installing the chip it started having problems. When I would start the truck the chip would be in either the High Idle program or Wildman's Extreme program and rotating the switch would do nothing. The chip would simply stick in one of those programs even though the switch could have been in any position. The solution was to shutdown and restart the truck up to 6 times before the chip would actually be in the program that was indicated by the switch. Clear as mud so far?

After speaking with Dennis at TS Performance he informed me that BDP was not an authorized dealer of TS chips and because the chip had been reprogrammed by an unauthorized dealer that the warranty was voided. Dennis also said that the problem sounded like a programming problem, not a problem with the switch or the chip. He said if it was the switch it would behave like that all the time, not just some of the time. That is the typical Customer Disservice that I'm used to nowadays: Always blame someone else's product or someone's work, it's never my product that's the problem. I was disappointed to say the least. I had no idea that Ryan was not an authorized dealer.

So I sent Ryan an email, as polite and courteous as always, and relayed what Dennis had said, and I simply asked Ryan if he had any ideas about what the problem could be. He said he had never heard of a chip doing that before. But he did say that,"I was afraid of that. If you had bought if from me it would still be under warranty. I'll tell you what. Just send me the chip and I'll eat it and send you a new one." Guys, I had no intention of doing that, and I told Ryan so. I told him that that was very nice of him but I would have to think long and hard before I allowed him to eat it.

A few days later Ryan sent me an email saying that he had programmed a chip for Luke Cline and that Luke's chip was behaving the same way. Ryan said he thought it might be his programmer and asked me to send it back to him. I did, and he reprogrammed it and sent it back and the first time I started the truck it did fine, the next 6 times I started it it acted up again! I was pretty disappointed to say the least. But I noticed something too. The switch had a different feel to it when I rotated it after mounting it in the dash as opposed to when it wasn't mounted. I also realized that the first couple of weeks that I ran the chip that the switch wasn't installed in the dash, but simply draped over the steering column. Hmmm, very interesting. So I loosened the nut on the switch a little, but not enough to make the switch loose in the hole. Viola! Problem solved! Evidently, because there is not a backing nut on the switch tightening the nut against the switch itself caused the switch to ever so slightly to distort or pull the contacts together or something.

Here's my point, to make a short story longer. Ryan offered and was willing to replace the chip even though I had not bought it from him because he thought that there was a possibility that his programmer was the problem.

He also offered to send me replacement injectors for the aforementioned rough idle, but I didn't think I had a bad injector then and I don't think so now, even though that was Ryan's first thought, "It sounds like I sent you a bad injector, even though we check them all. Tell me how many you need and I'll send them out right away."

Ladies and gentlemen, you just can't beat that type of customer service! That will keep me coming back to Ryan first for anything that I may need for my truck that he carries. Thank you for reading this, I just felt that Ryan deserved the positive feedback. So many times we only see negative feedback from dissatisfied customers. We need to know who the good vendors are too.

God bless,
    Gil

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good testimonial Gildo. Cant wait for my Stage I's now!

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who is this Bean you speak of...LOL... Do you think he would be mad if we called him ******....

Seriously, is ryan doing injectors for the 6.0 yet?

Bean

Reaction score
Gil, I am blushing now lol. I am just happy to be helping others with thier PSD addictions!

ISNMU, I would like to get my hands on some post pilot injection injectors and see what we could do with them. Would also like to get my hands on some GenII 570 injectors, thats where its at.

BBBxcursion

Reaction score
Bean's the man, my Excursion runs like a champ thanks to him and Jody :)

Swany

Consiglieri
Reaction score
Bean, bean he's our man.. is that the company name? Never heard of these dudes before.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a set of his Stage I injectors due to arrive any day now. From others previous experience and my limited contact with Ryan, hes just a top notch "good ole boy". I'll let you all know how the jectors turn out when I get them installed.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wideopen said:
Bean should Advertise here...Hint Hint Hint

Working on that Phil...

I might just be the OB.net beta tester for Beans jectors......

SeeYa

OB Vendor/ DP-Tuner
Reaction score
Yes. I have to agree that Bean is a great person to do business with. His business will flurish, where other's will be wishing they were just a little nicer. :cheers: