Battery tenders

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, battery tenders are an absolute need if your rig is in storage or in cold weather. I got a deltran battery tender plus high efficiency and just hooked it up this morning. Hopefully they will keep my new interstate econo power batteries lasting a long time. The solar powered battery tenders seem to work okay but some are not float chargers, so they will keep charging once batteries are at full capacity.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Solar tender works only in climates where the panel will not be covered or obscured by snow.

I picked up one of these: http://www.batterychargers.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductName=94026970 on sale at the local man-mall a while back. The 12V cord has a quick-disconnect, and it comes with a QD wire with two alligator battery clips, and a QD wire with two ring terminals. I installed the ring terminal wire on the power junction terminal of the starter relay (negative ring terminal to one of the nearby ground bolts), and stuck the QD end out the front between the grille and hood. Then I got three more of those ring terminal QD wires (they're pretty standard) and did the same thing on the other two trucks and the Saturn. Now I can plug any one of the vehicles in for a trickle charge without opening the hood or messing with the clips on the battery terminals.

Another thing to consider is battery _warmers_. Two options - blanket style that wraps around the battery, or a flat pad that goes underneath. 'Course you'll need two. I ganged them together with the block heater using one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/3-way-grounded-power-outlet-with-24-in-cord-61998.html , stashed under the hood, then ran that plug out through the grille. Total power draw aprx. 1200 watts. A warm battery holds its charge better.

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I mean is could I use a single Battery Tender (the bigger one for RV's) to charge both batteries at the same time? Or do I need one charger per battery?

Yes, 1 battery tender, hookede to 1 battery will take care of both batteries. Get a 1.5 amp automatic tender/charger and it will be fine. I used a 1.5 automatic charger from NAPA when I was in Alaska, (winters were -50 for 4 to 5 months and I did not have a battery problem for the % years I was there, my truck would sit for 6 to 14 weeks at a time.)

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The battery tenders do work well. My Dad has a few, he has one connected to his Fusion, that doesn't get driven as much now that he and Mom are both retired. It now sits for weeks at at time. Last time he wanted to drive it, it wouldn't start. Now with the tender, its not an issue. He also has them on a couple of IH Cub Cadets and his generator. A couple of things this has done, in the winter, they will start right up, in the past, they would need at least jump, and at times some "help" into the carb.... The batteries are also lasting much longer. In the past, he would only get a couple of years out of a battery, now he gets a few years out of them. His garage is detached, unfinished and not 100% wind tight. So this is a huge improvement. I will attest the cold does kill the small batteries quickly. I've had one garden tractor battery in one of my IH Cub Cadets and it gets stored in my attached, finished and somewhat climate controlled garage (the HVAC is in the garage, and it "leaks") and it has working for almost 8 years........