Battery maintenance question

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I got my new job and a company truck, my F-250 sits for weeks at a time. I put 2 brand new batteries in it in September, and don't want them to go to waste just sitting in the truck. I'm looking at a battery tender or CTEK maintenance charger with a desulfate feature. Does anyone have any experience with either?

It's not cold where I live now (Las Vegas) but it gets bloody hot in the summer time. I want something that will overcome the parasitic draw of my alarm and audio equipment when the truck is off, and keep the batteries in good shape so it cranks when I need it.

I use the Battery Tender Jr. chargers on my Supra and on my rockcrawling truck, as well as my motorcycle. They seem fine, but I don't think that little charger will keep up with 2 batteries, so I'm looking for something bigger. Any suggestions?

Ryan

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I don't think it's a matter of actually keeping up with the batteries. A little 2A trickle charger will keep 2 batteries in fine shape, they'll just take twice as long to get back to a full charge because you have double the available amperage. See, the batteries are not trying to draw on the trickle charger. The charger is simply outputting 2A constantly and the batteries just take it as it comes. Hope that helps man!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have probably two dozen of those simple little $5 Harbor Freight "float" chargers and I will vouch for their effectiveness.

I have two old riding mowers and used to have to replace both batteries every year.

In the last several years of always keeping the mowers connected to these little chargers, I have not replaced a battery since.

I have a diesel farm tractor that used to need a jump if it wasn't used every few days.

With one of these chargers always hooked to it, it can sit un-used for six months and crank like it was used an hour ago.

I have little two-prong cords hanging through the grille of every truck on the place, with mating plugs spliced in place of the alligator clips of the chargers.

The trucks that sit many days between uses are always plugged to one of these chargers.

On nights that will be below freezing, the daily-driven trucks get plugged to one of these chargers; the next morning, they crank with authority.

I have brought old dead batteries beyond the grave and returned them to years of useful life by simply connecting one of these chargers to them for a few days.

I would not think of letting a vehicle sit idle without one of these chargers connected. ;Sweet