Batteries load tested ok but voltage dropping

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
If all of your glow plugs are good, it should start just fine without plugging it in at that temperature. Of course, you may not want to wait for the engine to warm up from 23 degrees.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If all of your glow plugs are good, it should start just fine without plugging it in at that temperature. Of course, you may not want to wait for the engine to warm up from 23 degrees.

Yeah. Even in Nebraska, I got it started at around 28 degrees or less with the bad batteries, but it was pretty hard. Cycling the glow plugs multiple times, plus trying to turn over stone cold engine. Pretty sure I didn't have antigel in the fuel yet either. Now I do. (The white bottle Power Service)

That's when they first showed a problem. It was down to 17 or something like that one night. I had no electric other than my 500 watt generator, but its built in 10A battery charger is a lifesaver. (Yes 500w, not 5,000w)

This was a Texas truck, so its possible the block heater never saw much, if any use. The element itself is probably original. The cord looked like it too, by how rotten it was.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OP Yours in an 87?

For the forum: What year did they fix the 6.9 block heater issues? I know it affected early ones so I think he's fine but I figured why not be sure...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no clear year of truck thats for sure the newer 6.9 block, especially with how old these trucks are alot of them have been engine swapped by now. The only accurate way to know is id your block with the serial to determine if you have a 6.9 A block or B block. The A block is the one with issues. Being that its an 87 which was the first year for the 7.3s, he definitely has the newer block unless it has been swapped.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Or look at the block if you know what to look for. The B block "wraps" around the dipstick tube a little bit more than it does on the A block.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
There is no clear year of truck thats for sure the newer 6.9 block, especially with how old these trucks are alot of them have been engine swapped by now. The only accurate way to know is id your block with the serial to determine if you have a 6.9 A block or B block. The A block is the one with issues. Being that its an 87 which was the first year for the 7.3s, he definitely has the newer block unless it has been swapped.

No, 87 is the last year of the 6.9. At least according to everything I've read. It's a 6.9 with a 7.3 style glow plug setup. Unless it's been engine swapped, but I'm betting this one hasn't.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, 87 is the last year of the 6.9. At least according to everything I've read. It's a 6.9 with a 7.3 style glow plug setup. Unless it's been engine swapped, but I'm betting this one hasn't.
Its both the last year of the 6.9 and first year of the 7.3, I have a late 87 superduty that has a 7.3.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Huh. Well I guess I need to try to find the serial location on mine to know for sure.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't argue that, but I've never seen or heard of another 87 with a 7.3 unless it's been swapped in.
Its a november truck, everything on the vin looks like it would have a 7.3 from the factory just like our 88. Its the only 87 7.3 ive personally seen, but I try to avoid that year parts trucks because they used the weird pistons you cant hardly get.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ill pull the vin tomorrow, and double check my vin lookup.

Edit, sorry for the complete derail lol

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe it was an incomplete vehicle that was built in 87, but didn't get an engine until 88? Kind of like ambulances and busses. For regular trucks, that's a 1988 model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online