Batteries load tested ok but voltage dropping

Seasill

Reaction score
Before condemning the batteries, I would check for a parasitic drain. You will need a multimeter able to accurately read the drain. Simply feeling if the alternator is warm, or looking for size of sparks is not accurate. A parasitic drain is considered a problem at or above 50 milliamps or 0.050 Amps

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

Seasill

Reaction score
If you need assistance in performing this diagnostic operation, I'm here to help. I just dont want to see you shell out coins for something that wont fix it... Not saying your batteries are good, or bad, but there are ways to diagnose the situation without your credit card.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
If you need assistance in performing this diagnostic operation, I'm here to help. I just dont want to see you shell out coins for something that wont fix it... Not saying your batteries are good, or bad, but there are ways to diagnose the situation without your credit card.

The fact that after the glow plugs turn off, the voltage doesn't come back up much tells me its batteries.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A sudden change, a few days ago, of the EverStart Maxx literally says Exide in the title. Maybe they just switched, as the ones they dropped had raised caps, where the new are glued flat. To save you hunting for the screenshot in this thread, I'll post it again here.

Duralast gold are only 36 free/60 total (now)
https://m.autozone.com/batteries-st...ttery/duralast-gold-battery/53433_31059_25697

If I was going to spend $140 each on batteries, I'd probably get the Motorcraft 65-850s. But that's almost $100 more over Walmart for a pair. They have very long prorated warranties and last a long time, so I have read.

You must be registered for see images attach

Interesting.. Well I'll have to do some digging too, if they did go to excide, guess I won't be buying Walmarts again..

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Interesting.. Well I'll have to do some digging too, if they did go to excide, guess I won't be buying Walmarts again..

They probably alternate, depending on who will make them cheaper at any given time. The current model might be replaced in a year with a JCI again, who knows.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I had both batteries tested again. One shows good, the other shows 1/4 life left. I have only the "good" hooked up for now and I will see how it does. My travel plans changed slightly this week. The Walmart here had one with removable caps left yesterday but gone today when i decided to get it. O'Reilly here did try the phone number of the guy i bought the truck from (on a receipt), but these batteries aren't on it unfortunately so I'm up the creek on that.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Hopefully this is the end of this. I finally found a Walmart with the discontinued Johnson Control made Maxx batteries with the removable caps, and got two.

I also picked up a HFT Viking 2/8/15 microprocessor battery charger for $40 with tax on black Friday sale yesterday.

I had hoped the recondition feature might help the weak battery but considering it finished in a few minutes, I doubt that it did. It's still a useful tool to have with me.

I'm currently charging the new Maxx batteries with it. The first was at 80% when charging started. It's at 80% progress, probably in 2A mode. I don't know what the second will be yet, probably similar.

I have straps holding the batteries down until I can find hold downs that go across the batteries that are long enough to fit 65s, so no bouncing and sliding around like they were. The crappy $6 one at O'Reilly isn't long enough.

I'm going to get the old batteries tested by Walmart here in the morning to be sure which battery is which. I might keep the old "good" as an emergency spare. $12 each core is all I paid, so $12 to keep a spare "good" battery might not be a bad idea.

Last edited:

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
You don't have the normal battery hold downs?

No. They are gone. I didn't get any with the truck. I got 8" J bolts at oreilly, but their hold down bracket was too small. I guess I need to figure out what other trucks use a 65 battery with a similar, old fashioned style battery hold down, and go to a junk yard to get a couple.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dorman 588 kit, wedge and bolt is what you need. Parts store should be able to get it.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Dorman 588 kit, wedge and bolt is what you need. Parts store should be able to get it.

Hmm. The original had j hooks and a cross bar over the battery. I don't see how that would work.

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder if the PO changed the boxes then. My 88, my brothers 86 and my 91 all have that type not the j hooks...

If they are original, there should be a lip at the back towards the cab and a bolt hole with a slight "ramp" in the front behind the headlights, metric of coarse.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
Wonder if the PO changed the boxes then. My 88, my brothers 86 and my 91 all have that type not the j hooks...

If they are original, there should be a lip at the back towards the cab and a bolt hole with a slight "ramp" in the front behind the headlights, metric of coarse.

It's possible they were changed. It has places for hooks on both sides of the battery, grill and firewall side. They look squareish, so it's possible it has 80-86 Bronco ones?

This 80-86 Bronco kit has sqareish hooks: https://shop.broncograveyard.com/mobile/Battery-Hold-Down-Kit-80-86/productinfo/38015/

I'm not sure if they are offset like that bracket is though. When I go back to add felt pads and terminal grease, I'll snap pictures of the trays.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freqencyheight