Barely working hazards

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
For some reason, my hazards don't like to flash usually, especially if I have my foot on the brake. I'm hoping it might be a flasher issue but it could be ground. Any ideas where to look? (the 85 E350 RV). Blinkers work ok when at a stop and holding the brake so I don't think it's a 1G alternator output issue.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They never work with the brakes on. I believe it's due to how they're wired.

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
They never work with the brakes on. I believe it's due to how they're wired.

Really?! It might also be an idle with no brakes, I need to double check. When going down the road they work, but perhaps a bit slow, ie: up hills when I get slowed down.

A weak flasher I'm thinking? Dunno if vans got 2 different flashers like the trucks or not.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the flashers in a van.

I know any time I press the brakes my hazards stop flashing. As soon as I let off they resume flashing as normal though.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
On the IDI era Vans and trucks, if the brake pedal is pushed and the 4 way hazard flashers stop flashing and all 4 lights come on solid.

I think there is 2 flashers, not sure where the hazard is. The turn signal flasher is in behind the cluster..... on the 91 down vans. The 92 up, not sure.

I think it wasn't until the 99+ SuperDuty's the flashers continue to work with the brake pedal depressed.

Richard Wear

Reaction score
On a 1990 the hazard and brake light bulbs are one and the same. So to check your brake lights are not burnt out turn on your hazards and check yourself.

Reactions: dgr

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online