Banks Turbo....

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I am looking at a Banks turbo that was run for about 5,000 miles down in Florida. My questions are as follows:

1. Banks only lists these turbos till 93 and mine is a 94 NA will it fit? Does it matter what bodystyle the pickup is...mine is long bed CC.....(yes its an IDI, in my sig)

2. Are there any parts that are prone to breaking that I should inspect before buying? Besides the tirbine/bearing itself....

3. My pickup has 175,000 miles on it right now. Should I be concerned?

4. From what I have read so far it seems the biggest concern is the body seam that needs to be bent. Are there any other hickups that I should know about?

5. I have never messed with a turbo before. Is this going to be an 'easy' or difficult install?

Those are what I can think of off hand....any other heads up stuff is welcomed...

Thanks
Thad Ads by GoogleOfficial Site Ford Truck
Find photography, specs, prices, options, packages and more.
FordVehicles.comFord Overhead DVD Plyer
Visit Online To Buy Car DVD System That'll Integrate For Only $595.99!
www.Brandmotion.com

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Banks only lists these turbos till 93 and mine is a 94 NA will it fit? Does it matter what bodystyle the pickup is...mine is long bed CC.....(yes its an IDI, in my sig)
-makes no difference what the Ford chassis is.

2. Are there any parts that are prone to breaking that I should inspect before buying? Besides the tirbine/bearing itself....
-no known major defects. Check for the usual wear and tear, radial play and axial play on the turbine. if the impellers hit the housing when checking, it needs to be rebuilt. if the compressor fins are nicked, dinged or sandblasted, it needs to be rebuilt.

3. My pickup has 175,000 miles on it right now. Should I be concerned?
--the mileage is ok to turbo. while running and warmed up, pull the oil filler cap and check for amount of blowby
4. From what I have read so far it seems the biggest concern is the body seam that needs to be bent. Are there any other hickups that I should know about?
-the body seam and piping will cause consumption of alcohol and use of bad language

5. I have never messed with a turbo before. Is this going to be an 'easy' or difficult install?
-you'll never want to do another once you're done with this one.....until you hit the "go pedal"

FordGuy100

Reaction score
-the body seam and piping will cause consumption of alcohol and use of bad language

-you'll never want to do another once you're done with this one.....until you hit the "go pedal"

LOL I will agree to Calvins answer to number 5. Hands down one of the biggest PITA I've ever had to do. Once you do it a couple times, you learn the tricks, and you figure out what all it takes to make it go quicker.

But to answer your number 4, I didnt think it was all that bad. We did the install at Russ's (typ4) work. So we had access to a lift. We put the truck on the lift, used a 2" pipe, and just bent the hell out of it. It didnt take to long. But if you are laying on your back doing all this, I can see how the consumption of alcohol and bad langauge would come in handy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online