Banks sidewinder kit???

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
82 horsepower is a hellava jump, I bet there are a few of us that arent seeing that amount of increase but then again I've not had too much experience driving a non turbo model.

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 19mpg in my old truck with the sidewinder setup, The truck was a 88 cclb dually zf5 2wd 4:10 gears. if i went over 65mph it would suck the fuel though.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got 19mpg in my old truck with the sidewinder setup, The truck was a 88 cclb dually zf5 2wd 4:10 gears. if i went over 65mph it would suck the fuel though.

was this with a load, or alone? im getting about 15 from 4x4 92 f250 supercab LB E4OD pulling the trailer with the mustang... im trying to find a good selling point for the old ball and chain, LOL!

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was this with a load, or alone? im getting about 15 from 4x4 92 f250 supercab LB E4OD pulling the trailer with the mustang... im trying to find a good selling point for the old ball and chain, LOL!

no load but with a load it got around 15ish depending on the weight of the load and hills ect...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's a big jump.i don't know about 80 more ponies or not....but man.it can't be too far off.i used to need WOT on the hills and 2nd gear to keep 45MPH when loaded up..........i don't need that WOT thing too much anymore lol.
of course the intercooler plus the maxed out (and still safe egt) ip helped yet again.
it's a very drastic difference.if the banks kit doesn't turn up an n/a idi 80 more ponies,then it's got to be at least 60-70?
the fuel economy went down for me,but of course that's because i go uphill faster now......but now i pretty much just kick down to 3rd with the 2nd downshifts left to when driving slow to start with.

that said,i just did a solo interstate run to grab log truck a lift gate.my 8k lb dually box truck brought in a 17 mpg @ 55 mph.........that's kinda cool.........but i don't give the credit to the turbo.
(8200 lbs/DRW/enclosed stake body dump/3.55 gearing with 3.84 effective w/ shorter tires/turbo g codes/timing set @ 7BTDC/ intercooler/maxed n/a ip/electric cooling fans/banks turbo)

* this post is about chip truck.

Last edited:

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i didnt put mine on it came on the truck. my truck now has an early non gated banks setup on it and its kind of a pain but the sidewinder setup is a whole diferent ball game but i would think it wouldnt be to bad. Remember its only nuts and bolts

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, but im afraid of 22 yr old rusty bolts... specifically old manifold bolts, i would hate to break something off in a head, this is the first IDI ive actually done work to, are the manifold bolts typically and issue (like others have been)?

5.0bronco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont think you have to remove the manifolds, just the nuts off of the studs on the collectors of the manifolds. Alot of heat from a cutting tourch and some Kroil work wonders