banks non wastegated turbo whistle

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i was going to be buying a old banks non wastegated sidewinder turbo here in a few days and i was just wandering does the whistle sound good on the old turbos?, can you hear it in the cab real good? ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Depends on the intake length and size, filter size and You can also hear it from the exhaust side if it is big enough, not too long or with a good muffler. A turbo whistle does sound good but does nothing for performance, fast spool up and good boost #'s to burn that fuel is what You want. Still, straight pipe or stacks will make it highly noticeable.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you run the banks intake box, you aren't going to hear much. I ran an open element right on the turbo for a while, and that was hedging on downright unpleasant in the cab, but, my 6.9 truck has a gas cab with no diesel insulation.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am confused now. There was a thread not too long ago about turbo whistle and everyone said the hotside is where the whistle came from because I posed the question as to where the whistle came from. I also have an early Banks on my truck and the whistle is not very noticeable. I was figuring if it was the cold side then the box would muffle the whistle and if it was the hot side the aluminum shield and insulation would muffle it. I run no muffler on mine and was going to remove some of the insulation to try and get more whistle out of it. Now it seems I need to do something about the intake.

Jeff

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hot side only makes noise out the exhaust, so if you have a tailpipe, you aren't going to hear much in the cab, what you will hear if you open it up is the cold side.

longhorn795

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a difrence in the crossover pipes on these old kits,the one i found if for a automatic trans,what would i need to do to it for it to be on a manual trans thanks

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
is there a difrence in the crossover pipes on these old kits,the one i found if for a automatic trans,what would i need to do to it for it to be on a manual trans thanks

The non gated Banks kits are trans specific.

Late_99_psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My brothers non-wastegated banks turbo hardly makes any noise and its straight piped and 6637 intake. :dunno:

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used the same non gated y-pipe for an E4OD, T19 and ZF5, they are all very similar, just shaped differently above the bellhousing. As long as you have the Y in good shape, the est is easily re-fabbed. And, if you have some mandrel bends, the Y wouldn't be hard to build either.
This is what mine sounded like, unfortunately my old camera filtered out the high pitched stuff a bit, so it isn't quite as ear piercing as it actually was:
http://www.bigblocksix.com/f100swb/81f100/oct07/35o95.wmv
Out the exhaust, well, if you weren't listening for it, you'd never hear it:
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g103/82f100swb/misc/?action=view&current=startrev.mp4
http://youtu.be/bU3BNBvPOr8

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since my 7.3 is an N/A for now... I'm thinking of getting a recording of turbo whistle and feed it through a bull horn out the grill. cookoo

I love the whistle outta my 6.0.... when it's running good. :backoff

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online