Banks Exhaust vs 4" Exhaust

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently have a Banks exhaust system on my Banks wastegated turbo. The system consists of a 3" down pipe back to the muffler with a 3 1/2" exit from the muffler. I know I will not gain any power persay going to 4" since these motors don't create tons of power. What I was wondering is if I upgraded keeping the 3" dp to 4" all the way back will I lower my egt's enough that I could crank my fuel screw up a bit more? Will I get better turbo spool up to notice increased lower end power? Where would be the best place to buy the exhaust parts needed since I already have the dp? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I really wish I had installed my pyrometer before I did that swap. I had a full 3" ATS exhaust and went to a 4" straight pipe. About a week after that I installed the pyro probe.

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
I found 3" and over stuff is best found at Medium/Heavy duty truck supplier that does that stuff.;Sweet

Fozz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few people have put their own system together buying parts from Napa for under $200 or so. I ended up buying a MBRP 4inch system for a 94 Power Stroke from XDP for $350. It has been in my garage for 6 weeks, I just can't find the time to install it. But if I get it done soon, I'll post my results.

1994IDI

Reaction score
Call around to exhaust shops in your area until you find some who have some 4" exhaust pipe laying around. I bought mine for $11 pr/ft. I have a 3" downpipe to a 4" straight. Then I found someone who had a 4" tailpipe for a Cummins that I cut down a little bit and fit right on.I have less than $150 in pipe and all the hardware. I ordered the reducer for the downpipe and got the hangers at Advance Auto Parts.

Hope it helps.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think you'll gain anything worth mentioning...that money could probably be better spent on a Hypermax cowl induction or your own design cold air intake. Also I'm not familiar with the Banks exhaust but does it have a muffler? If so I'd chop it out. Get yourself a free flowing straightpipe and cold air induction and I bet you get a 200-300 degree egt drop and then you can probabaly max out your fuel screw if you drive by the pyro.

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some years back, the Banks exhaust system on my '86 F-250HD fell off on a trip. It had rusted away after only 18 years or so (nothing seems to last any more ( : < ) and I had to replace it with an emergency system from, "The Llttle Mufflershop of Horrors" in some podunk Ohio farming town. It was a miserable crimp-bent system with a Chinese copy of a "performance" turbo muffler. Yeah, it was 3-inch but severely crimped at the bends and I noticed a slight uptick in EGT in normal driving but I didn't notice any power loss. Didn't tow or wail on it because I knew what the result would be. Couldn't wait to replace it!

After checking on the price to replace the Banks parts (which were still available), and having to be difibrillated back to life, I shopped and installed the back half of the Dynomax 4-inch kit (part #19429, you can look up and buy the individual parts too) for the IDI trucks, running the 4-inch as far forward as possible. That left about three feet of 3-inch from the (non-wasgated) turbo and the 4-inch tied in near the transmission.

The 4-inch swap delivered about 2-3 extra psi boost over that restricted situation, noticeably faster spooling up and EGT about 35 degrees lower at 65 mph. It gained 1 or 2 psi boost over what the Banks mandrill-bent system delivered with that gigantic "canoe" of a muffler Banks used to offer. Didn't notice all that much difference from the original banks on EGT, but it trended lower. I didn't gain any power over the Banks system. One disagreeable result was an exhaust drone at about 2000 rpm.

The choke point is the turbo outlet pipe, which is 3-inch. The outlet pipe size and the turbo map are all carefully calculated so that's an equation you don't want to change without knowing what you are doing (not to mention the turbine outlet is only 3-inch). On my truck, 3-inch is all that will fit between the trans and the firewall anyway.

My opinion is that, on most IDIs running 10-15 psi boost (which is about all they can safely take without compression reduction and an intercooler) a 4-inch system is a zero gain over a 3-inch mandrill bent system with a good free-flow muffler (or no muffler).

If you calculate exhaust flow, even at 10-12 psi boost, 3-inch flows enough anyway, at least when calculated to the Max EGT an IDI can handle anyway. Bigger than what you need is not beneficial. It may not hurt performance (at least on a turbo system, it might on an NA at low speeds) but it may hurt your wallet. I pretty much knew that going in, but the Dynomax system was about 40 percent the price of replacing the Banks parts.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, advice taken. Just ordered a Hypermax cowl induction. We'll see how that does then consider the exhaust. Thanks for the feed back.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't understand the $100+ price tags for JUST a downpipe for our turbo kits. Hypermax wanted $150, Banks wanted $130...even an ebay special powerstroke downpipe was $100. Ridiculous!

I simply couldn't justify spending that on a simple 4ft pipe section with two bends. Especially when I can have a muffler shop bend the same section for $20. Hell, even if I bought their pipe ($20 locally), I wouldn't even be up to half the price of ANY of those brand name ones...not even including the shipping either...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online