Ball joint's...

bigblue85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
torch comes in good handy to heat them up they pop right out with a ball joint press. other than that they can become a pain

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what seems to be the issue Mike?
did you just read ghunts recent threads?

cardana24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of help do you need? Do you need advice, or do you physically need someone to help you?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted I have a garage but I actually ended up doing all my work out in my driveway... :dunno

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Granted I have a garage but I actually ended up doing all my work out in my driveway... :dunno

driveway work is my specialty thats what happens when the driveway is paved and the garage is stones.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got someone/someplace to do the work finally. Now I just have to find a list of the part's I'd need (besides the b-joints).

Actually looking for a break-down of how the axle is built. I'd guess I'd do the wheel bearings, the wheel u-joint's, wheel seals, wheel race's and tie rod's.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where on the knucle did you hit specifically monkeyboi?

When I was pressing the ball joints out of the knuckle....I tightened the press down with my impact, then just whacked the knuckle a couple times near the ball joint with my 3 lb hammer, and went back with the impact and the ball joints just pressed right out. And my stuff was pretty rusty too!

Make sure you don't forget to take the snap rings off the bottom ones, by the way.

6.5dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'm planning on doing balljoints tomorrow, should i replace anything else while i'm at it, don't have alot to spend but if it's something that's like $20 i would do it

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that depends...

Prior to taking mine apart, I decided to do all four ball joints, plus the u-joints up front.

After taking it apart I found out I also needed a new outer wheel bearing on the passenger side, and a new inner spindle seal for the driver's side (the one that rides on the axle itself). Everything else looked pretty good.

Overall I had $150 in the ball joints, $30 in the U-joints, $14 for the wheel bearing and $21 for the seal (explain that one to me...)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online