bad starter?

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cranking very slow, speeds up a little with some throttle input (1/2) but still slow. batteries check good, charging system checks good, connections/grounds all good... im at a loss on this...

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the starter original? Assuming all the connections are good and the batteries are charged, the starter is probably on it's way out.

My OEM starter died in March, it was easy to diagnose as it had been getting slower and slower and finally stopped turning altogether.

NAPA or DB electrical have some nice replacements.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connections might be good, but my cables had started corroding and I had similar problems. Check them as they will definitely limit power to the starter

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Connections might be good, but my cables had started corroding and I had similar problems. Check them as they will definitely limit power to the starter

whats funny is after starting this thread i went back and looked at the cables again and a couple places look suspect... more to come on this when i can do a proper diagnostic.

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are new complete cable kits that can be had for these trucks. Someone will be along to post a link for it, or at least where to buy them.
I had mine locally made, which only ran around 60 bucks.

If it is the starter, I'm running three of the DB units right now and they seem to hold up fairly well, although we did lose one in less than a year but that truck is in a landscaping business and gets started many times per day.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are new complete cable kits that can be had for these trucks. Someone will be along to post a link for it, or at least where to buy them.
I had mine locally made, which only ran around 60 bucks.

If it is the starter, I'm running three of the DB units right now and they seem to hold up fairly well, although we did lose one in less than a year but that truck is in a landscaping business and gets started many times per day.

yeah im gonna try new cables before taking on the starter, i was looking at them on ebay, some say 2/0, some say 2 gauge... i dont think they completely understand cable sizing which makes me nervous to buy from them, LOL! a link to what other members are using would be great!

nj_m715

government's finest
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a bad starter that cranked slow. The parts store tested it and said it was good, but they don't test it under load. When I bolted in the new one it seemed to turn over 2x faster. Thats was after cleaning all connections and replacing a few cable ends so I know your pain.
That was the first time I saw a slow starter. They have always been like a lightbulb. They work or they don't.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That battery cable is a nice piece. That was my thread that you found. I am still happy with mine. You will have to swap over the bracket that bolts the cable to the lower front passenger side of the block, but other than that, easy peasy.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a bad starter that cranked slow. The parts store tested it and said it was good, but they don't test it under load. When I bolted in the new one it seemed to turn over 2x faster. Thats was after cleaning all connections and replacing a few cable ends so I know your pain.
That was the first time I saw a slow starter. They have always been like a lightbulb. They work or they don't.

i had the same issue when trying to get my 1 year old dead one replaced passed there little car starter tester but like i told the guy behind the counter its lazying turning my diesel over i dont care what your tester says. had to go to two stores the 2nd store replaced it because the guy couldnt even figure out how to test it lol.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That battery cable is a nice piece. That was my thread that you found. I am still happy with mine. You will have to swap over the bracket that bolts the cable to the lower front passenger side of the block, but other than that, easy peasy.

thanks for that thread, great write up it helped me make up my mind, im not nervous about spending $80 on it now.

mikepotts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
installed the cable and its a nice piece, but it didnt fix the slow starting issue. i tested the batteries again (both still connected together) with my old school hand held resistence element load tester, they had 13 volts then when using the load tester it dropped to 12.5 volts. i left it hooked up, cranked the motor and it drops to 10 volts... leading me to believe more that the starter is tired. gonna remove the grounds and do a thorough inspection of them tonite.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aw, man. Hate that it wasn't just that easy of a fix. At least you know now that it isn't a problem.

I wish I had replaced mine piece at a time to see how much difference each part made, but I did cables, batteries, and starter all at once. What a difference it made in the speed which the engine cranks. I thought I had a good starting system before as I never had a problem starting my truck after I installed the moose pump, until my batteries crapped out one day. Now, I know what it should be like!