bad oil leak oil on the starter

poonslayer

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey everyone.Lately my 87 6.9 has been runing real good. No need to post when all is well I guess?Here's the problem at hand as of today:
I went to do an oil change and got under the truck.While under there I realized there was a TON of oil on the starter. I changed the oil and while doing that I see that I was really short. I barely filled a gallon jug.This has me confused because the dipstick had plenty of oil on it.I have been reading about the dipstick leaking at the base?Is that a problem in these year trucks? I can snap a few photos off if my description isnt good. I cheaned the crv valve during the oil change just to make sure it wasnt clogged open. It was dirty and it had visable oil on theedge of the rim. Help me I love this truck and am thinking of buying another.I have time today to fix it so I was hoping for a strike of luck from someone with a little knoledge on this matter.
Thanks again
1987 f250 6.9
67000-
167,000 ?

poonslayer

Reaction score
alright tighten the valve cover bolts. They were finger loose. I cleaned the motor real well now. We shall see if this was the culprit. The back passenger side of the valve cover was covered in oil. I think that was the issue. Now I have to put in the oil pressure gauge. Anyone have any pics of the location to plug it into the block?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are 3 places on the block you can screw in an oil presure sender. The stock location, and 2 on the drivers side just above the pan rail. See the Moose Truck album and FS-2500 project link in my sig.

poonslayer

Reaction score
all plumbed up thanks for the help.Im getting around 42psi of oil pressure is that around where it needs to be?