bad news

towtruckdave

Resident Nutcase
Reaction score
That is not a big deal.

I would remove the IP first, then carefully remove the aluminum housing without disturbing, ie unmeshing, the top timing gear. Make sure nobody is bothering or distracting you while you clean the bloch surface with a razor scraper and brake cleaner. If you dont have a razor scraper, you can make one with visegrips and a razor blade.

Just go slow and easy and you will be fine.

If the gear gets disturbed, use a dvd or small mirror to line up the carrot shaped marks. The engine needs to be at TDC #1.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When and if you remove the gear cover, spray the gear with brake cleaner then lay a straight edge across the housing base, with marker draw a line across the gear put an up arrow on it, then you could even remove the gear. Cleaning the RTV would be easier that way.

EDIT: Stuff a rag in the gear hole, keep that RTV scrapping's out of the engine, it will plug up the oil cooler tubes, not good on the filter bypass either.

Last edited:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
When i swapped the 83 model engine in my 86 the 83 didnt have a port for a tach sensor i carefully remover the gear cover and didnt touch the gear swapped the new one on it and away i went no problems just be extreamly careful!

jonathan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if i un bolt the gear from the ip will the gear rest there with out moving. i plan on fixing this in few months when i fix the front main seal. thanks everyone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online