Bad ip?

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was driving my truck almost all day, parked in front of my house to get something. The truck was off for 5 min. Got in and started it and it ran for like 10 seconds and it shut off. I wasn't sure if it was an empty tank or not so I switched tanks and tried to start it again. I have now checked the return and got nothing from the ip return but got fuel from the return from the filter head. I have a very little amount of fuel at the injectors but not all of them and not as much as I've seen previously when priming. I primed the filter and checked the schrader valve and all is well there. Is my ip toast?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry forgot it is a 94 7.3 turbo with original ip and injectors on 198xxx miles.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly I think so with that many miles on it. Try to start it when the engine is cold. If it starts then you know its a worn out pump. Sometimes pouring coool water on th pump will shrink it engouh to make pressure to pop the injecters. Thicken up the fuel helps to make pressure too. Remove the filrer and fill it with atf. If the engine starts then add 2 quarts of atf to the fuel tank but order a pump before you are without a ride. You might be on a very short time line for walking. Conestoga Diesel is the best quality choice for pumps. A cheap ebay pump is just that. Never ever accept a pump that has been painted. Those are not rebuilt but they are tested and cleaned but hiding all kinds of trouble.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did try the bucket o water trick but to no avail. Tried starting it after hours of sitting and nothing. I did use ATF to fill the filter and still nothing. Sad day, I guess I may just have to get that moose I've been having wet dreams about. Now to find the funds to get it. Hmm. Banks have lots to spare...

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i hear the moose pumps are good, but not sure if they are wet dream material LOL.......i mean, that sounds pretty hardcore......i will say one thing though, i was behind a certain blue dog catching truck at the fall rally last week that was pulling away from me with great ease, and he was bangin' his own gears compared to my auto trans doin' all the work....

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Once you go Moose you'l never turn loose...:thumbsup::D They are that good. I have had 2 of them. Both were the Moose Pumps and now they refer to that pump as the bull moose. For good reason too. The last one was installed by Mel at the 2009 rally. I got 18.9 mpg driving home 2200 miles from that rally at averageing 75 to 85 mph...:eek: That a lot of air being pushed out of the way too ...

Black dawg

Reaction score
have you checked for voltage to the fss? If it has voltage, do you hear a good strong click when you hook the wire up?

If it has been running fine, I would say that it is HIGHLY unlikely that the pump has failed mechanically, regardless of miles.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
i hear the moose pumps are good, but not sure if they are wet dream material LOL.......i mean, that sounds pretty hardcore......i will say one thing though, i was behind a certain blue dog catching truck at the fall rally last week that was pulling away from me with great ease, and he was bangin' his own gears compared to my auto trans doin' all the work....

Ron was banging gears cause he thought the dogs were finally going to pay him back for years of abuse...:eek: Ron, you know they are mounting a great offence and they will getca.. Its on the jungle gog drums now. I can hear them from here and I'm not listening for them either...:angel:

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I've checked schrader and I checked the fss. It has been running really crappy since I bought it in like march or so. I knew I was on borrowed time. Injectors and turbo are next. The pump was the largest purchase. Hopefully the turbo lasts a bit longer without a catastrophic failure. It is probably next for the reason that if it dies it could take out a lot more with it.

cr430c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed new ip and it idled and ran perfect... Until I really got on it the first time. I noticed the little timing adjustment on the side( before I put it in) was all the way in and not against the little screw it normally sits against. Didn't check it after installed and timed. Question is is it normal for it to stick. I checked my timing when I got to school tonight and it's advanced by like 7-9 degrees. Had to get to class but am I ok to drive it home tonight? 15 miles or so. It sounds horrible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7