Bad Filter Head

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
So, I readjusted the fuel pick up. I started it back up and brought it up to 2500 or so. It ran for less than 20 seconds or so, then died again. I pulled the fuel filter and it was almost empty. I am charging the batteries, then will switch tanks to see if it also happens on the rear tank. If it does, then I am suspecting the lift pump, or a clogged line. If it does not, then I am suspecting a bad switch or plugged line.

Any thoughts?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I readjusted the fuel pick up. I started it back up and brought it up to 2500 or so. It ran for less than 20 seconds or so, then died again. I pulled the fuel filter and it was almost empty. I am charging the batteries, then will switch tanks to see if it also happens on the rear tank. If it does, then I am suspecting the lift pump, or a clogged line. If it does not, then I am suspecting a bad switch or plugged line.

Any thoughts?
go down to home dept and do the PVC hose mod. that will tell you plenty on air bubble issues. switches aren't cheap. fuel pumps will have a constant stream of air bubbles and air in the return side will do a drainback when you shut the truck down.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I am picking up a filter tomorrow morning at AZ. I like the idea of the PVC hose mod and will hit that up too!

Thanks guys!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
****, I really wish I could, but have family stuff and my daughter had a double header at 6!!!!! Thank you though.....might have to make a tactical trip down there this week though for a follow up!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
****, I really wish I could, but have family stuff and my daughter had a double header at 6!!!!! Thank you though.....might have to make a tactical trip down there this week though for a follow up!
lmk a day in advance so I can get a scooter from SJ for the photos op.;Sweet

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
On an update though, I got running on the rear tank. I had it against the governor for 20 seconds or so with no indication of air in the line. now it looks like either the lime or the valve.....I will check both of them tomorrow!

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I took off the line from the front tank and blew it out. I saw no obstructions though. Found no obstructions in the valve either. I tested the volume of the lift pump and got about 5 ounces for 10 sec of cranking. I got 4 to 5 psi out of the schrader valve while it was running at various RPM. For the hell of it, I took the cap off the rear tank and put it on the front one. I left the cap off the rear tank (poured out a lot of Diesel as a result). I took the truck out for a hot lap and had it against the governor for most of the trip. No sign of cutting out!!!!! I will replace the cap and hopefully fixed it!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wait a minute.....
did you say the rear was "overfilled"?
betcha the valve is pulling off the front or rear but is returning on the rear.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Not sure how full the rear is..... The gauge does not work! I pulled off the front return line and ran it yesterday. I was getting fuel ****** out of it while the truck was running. I was thinking that too!