BAD DAY!

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, bottom line. Both of my rear dual wheels came off of my truck today while driving down the highway. No damage to anyone or anything other than my truck and pride.

Here is the deal. I am lucky, all I have to replace are the lug studs. They were sheared off. I have removed the caliper, caliper housing and the axle. I also removed the retaining clip and the axle nut. My assembly will not come out. ***? What am I missing? It is loose, just not coming out. I can spin it fine and it will rock in any direction I choose. I just can't get the damn thing off of the axle housing.

Guys, I need my truck running as soon as possible. I can't work without it. If any of you can help me with this I would greatly appreciate it. I already have the new studs and all the parts are really ok. The only thing I am going to replace other than the studs it is the caliper housing. When the truck hit the pavement that housing took the brunt of the damage, however it is still usable. I am just going to replace it because it hit so hard and drug so long.

Thanks,

John

This is on the 2005 in my signature.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the rear housing cover has 14 bolts. The axle has 8 that hold it to the hub. I am pretty sure 8 is standard, but the differential has 14 on the housing cover. Does this help?

Thanks for the reply.

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the rear housing cover has 14 bolts. The axle has 8 that hold it to the hub. I am pretty sure 8 is standard, but the differential has 14 on the housing cover. Does this help?

Thanks for the reply.

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my quick research, the '05 has an AAM Axle under it. I've dealt with the GM 14 bolt under the '96 in my signature, but I have no experience with the AAM axles whatsoever. I wouldn't even know where to start with them. Sorry bub :(

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man that is so cool. I really do appreciate your trying. I really do. Someone will get on here or I will figure it out. LOL Hey you gotta live and learn with these trucks right?

John

RustyBolts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. I've learned about a lot of things on that truck from the school of hard knocks.

EDIT: Can you get me any pictures (or possibly even a video) of what you're looking at?

JRNOLL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On some limited slip rear ends there is a c-clip on the defferential end of the axel shaft. this has to come off before you can pull the shaft out of the housing. CRS won't let me recall which rear ends this is on. Hope this helps. Joe

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
yea that sucks that just happened to my buddys 06 dodge 3500 dually cummins but luckily we caught it in time it sheered all off but 2 studs

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I got it. I had already removed the c clip, nut and keyway. It just need some cohersion...LOL It is off the old studs are out. I am going to take my rotor down to have it turned just to make me feel better. I am going to install the new studs tomorrow put some wheels on it and drive it again! LOL Thanks so much for all the replies. I really do appreciate it.

You know, these forums are really awesome. I can so appreciate anyone who is willing to lend a hand to someone in a time of need. I sure do it when I get the opportunity. Thanks again folks.

John

adtman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well more bad news. My axle shaft separated from my pumpkin housing. I called Chevrolet and gave them my VIN#. I have a 3.73 LS. Now I need a whole new rear-end. Anyone have one laying around? I would obviously buy it..LOL Mine has disc rear brakes. My truck is a 4WD as well. I have searched car-part.com and am currently lurking CL for a donor truck or something. If anyone has one please let me know.

John

Thanks.