Backup lights

NVCowboy

Reaction score
I have a standard fog light relay hooked up to mine, and it is strictly a manual system. Do I need a different relay in order to connect to reverse lights and still have the manual option for hooking at night with truck in park. Need to see a diagram again, too.

jvencius

Reaction score
Here's a guy's Webshots page with a wiring schematic for relay-controlled backup lights:

http://community.webshots.com/album/61486260sDMkye

Sooner later, I'm going to buy myself a pair of THESE and flush-mount them in the back bumper. That way they'll be more protected than the lights I've got hanging underneath the bumper now, plus they won't get knocked off-aim so easily.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Relay and backup light

I ran two utility (rubber housing) lights on the back of my truck. I ran a ten guage wire back there for power as on the 87 and other early trucks, the wiring is very small, not heavy enough to power my two 55W lights. Anyway, I have the relay wired to toggle on when the transmission is shifted into reverse and have a manual switch. I used a 5 wire relay. I can turn my lights on running down the road if I so desire and it is a great tool to back tailgaters off your a$$! I mounted mine up under the truck so they would be out of harms way. Works great. I can get a wiring diagram together I am sure if someone wants it. I am new here and haven't figured out how to do pictures and stuff, but love the way you guys insert them right into your posts.

Attachments

• Mule Rear.jpg
    Mule Rear.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 5

nmu1974

Reaction score
mr_josh said:
The only reason you'd need to have a diode in the circuit would be if there was another light on the circuit that you don't want to turn on. In my Tbird, I have rear reading lights that come on with the dome light, but I also have switches installed so that they can be turned on independently. I have a diode on each switch so that the switch doesn't feed power back to the dome light and opposite-side reading light.

Hey, Mr. Josh - 1st post welcome to Oilburners ! ! !

NVCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for the diagram. Now all I need is a day to kill rewiring everything. THe more I hear about others knocking their backup lights off their bumpers, the happier I am that mine came built into my SW Fabricators rear bumper.

I do hate the feeling when I get in the truck the next morning, look down at my illuminated switch and see the light on. :eek: Did I drive home from the barn with them like that or did I leave them on after backing into driveway?? Connecting them to tranny would eliminate turning them on for backing up, and only use manual switch when I really need it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online