Backup lights

nmu1974

Reaction score
The backup lights on my 03 Excursion are terrible. Is that the way they are, or is it just me? Are brighter bulbs available or is the only solution one of those aftermarket bolt on kits? It also seems that the lighting is not even - the rear right is not a bright as the left.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LED's my friend..... LED's...............

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually mount a pair of inexpensive fog lights under the rear bumper or onto the side of the reciever hitch depending on where is convenient, then put them on a lighted switch in the cab.... VERY nice when hooking up a trailer at night.

jvencius

Reaction score
milner351 said:
I usually mount a pair of inexpensive fog lights under the rear bumper or onto the side of the reciever hitch depending on where is convenient, then put them on a lighted switch in the cab.... VERY nice when hooking up a trailer at night.

They're also VERY nice when some ******* punk kid in a Civic decides to follow you 3" back from the receiver hitch. :eek: :angel: :angel: :angel: :Sly

milner351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that too :backoff

I've also thought about using the lights the semi guys use behind the cab for loading, they look tougher built than the cheap plastic fog lights I've been using... I get the cheap ones simply because they are vulnerable back there... and easily damaged.

That is unless you get fancy and cut out your bumper and put them behind it... but I usually time for that type stuff.

PARKESPOWER

Reaction score
IS THERE ANY WAY TO HAVE THE LIGHTS COME ON WITH THE REVERSE LIGHT BUT STILL BE CONTROLED MANUALY WHEN YOU WANT THEM ON FOR TRAILER HOOK UP?

PARKESPOWER

Reaction score
IF THAT CAN BE DONE IT WOULD ALSO BE ABLE TO CONTROL THE REVERSE LIGHT ON THE TRAILER THE SAME WAY RIGHT?? :confused:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
sure all u would have to do is tie in to your regular reverse lights wire and hook up a powered toggle no biggie

RenoF250

Reaction score
Yes, you could do it with a relay but you should put a diode in series so you do not back feed the reverse light wire with the toggle. Don't know that it would hurt anything but backfeeding in general is bad toilet.

PARKESPOWER

Reaction score
I DONT KNOW THAT MUCH ABOUT RELAYS SO THE DIAGRAM WOULD BE GREAT! THE BACKFEEDING DOES NOT SOUND GOOD FOR ANY ELECTRICAL,THAT I KNOW THANKS CHAD

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
it wont hurt anything with no relay or diode your not really backfeeding anything when you put your truck in reverse the regular reverse switch sends power to your back up lights this is also the side your auxillary switch is tied into so that wire is now hot up to the aux switch but thats where it stops but it dont really matter as long as your power wires are power and ground is ground

mr_josh

Reaction score
The only reason you'd need to have a diode in the circuit would be if there was another light on the circuit that you don't want to turn on. In my Tbird, I have rear reading lights that come on with the dome light, but I also have switches installed so that they can be turned on independently. I have a diode on each switch so that the switch doesn't feed power back to the dome light and opposite-side reading light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online