Axle swap

glduke

Reaction score
I have an 85 250 idi 4x4, is it better to swap the front axle with a straight axle, or stick with the stock axle? If a swap is best what axle should i use?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is long debated and there are pros and cons to both but most will probably say take the money you were going to use to rebuild the TTB and swap in a solid axle. It really comes down to personal preference (and budget) as either are serviceable. If you swap straight probably going to want to go dana 60.

On Edit: It also depends on what you are going to do with the truck. Probably the most important question. Sorry still a little sleepy.

drinkypoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The TTB rides nicer, the straight axle is better for four wheeling. If you keep the TTB make sure to get the energy suspension center pivot bushing, the original is almost certainly toast by now

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have to say the exact opposite, my straight axle one ton rides, drives and wears tires 100 times better than my f250 (and the f250 even has all new bushings, springs and shackles). The broken chicken wing front end is the stupidest thing ford ever did to these pickups. If you do stick with it, 100% agree with the energy bushings though.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first question is do you really need to mess with it? Swapping/rebuilding the front end is a lot of work no matter what you do - if your front end is worn then it's worth considering, but I wouldn't do it if what you have is fine.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I would ask whether or not what you have has worked for you or not. If you are happy with it, rebuild it. Not happy, D60 it. I believe the D60 rides better, wears tires better, and is all around a better front end. TTB needs a good aftermarket set of leaves to make it happy. The stockers are marginal at best. I have seen TTB do very well in landscape trucks that plow snow every year, after it has been gone through and the leaves were swapped out.

glduke

Reaction score
The TTB in this truck is worn and the camber is off, it also rides like a brick, even with new shocks! I am interested in swapping out for a D60. Is there a year model that would be a direct swap? I'm not mudding this truck but i do plan on larger tires and a body lift.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any of the Bull Nose Brick nose and OBS D60's will work and are essentially a bolt in operation.

Take a moment and look through the forum (SEARCH) there are several D60 swaps covered. Lots of info on what's needed.

Also add your truck info to your signature as well.

Welcome to OB

Al

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
It most likely rides that rough because the thing is bouncing off the worn out bump stops. This is why springs are that important. Most people say that when they lift (suspension) their truck, it rides better, that's because they are not bouncing off the bump stops anymore.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have had 2 F-250's with the TTB front end, I installed a pair of extra leaf's and energy suspension bushings and never had issues with either one. They both rode fine and wore tires evenly. If I had an extra $1000 laying around I wouldn't hesitate to swap in a D60 though.