Axle bolts

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well its on mine on both sides. Lol
Could it be that mine is a bit newer? (94.5 psd)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@typ4

Any word back? I cleaned up a couple of these bolts and while I'm not thrilled about re-using them, I'd like to get the axles back in if I don't have the flu all week.

:backoff

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Dana 60 bolts from a 1999 E350, up close and personal

Attachments

• IMG_4541.JPG
    IMG_4541.JPG
    210.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4540.JPG
    IMG_4540.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 15

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@typ4

Any word back? I cleaned up a couple of these bolts and while I'm not thrilled about re-using them, I'd like to get the axles back in if I don't have the flu all week.

Not yet, I just resent the request. I hate the flu. been years but still hate it. Ill post up as soon as I find out something.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I'm not talking about a normal washer. It looks like this but is split.
You must be registered for see images

It goes into the axle shaft bolt holes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I've never seen those on anything other than the Spicer and Mentor heavy axles (class A trucks). I've only dealt with a D60 and 2 different DRW Sterlings, but in each case the bolt hole in the shaft flange was roughly the same size as the bolt shank/thread holes in the hub. Seems like you'd only be able to get 1/16"-1/8" of the taper into the hole, if that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And my drivers side has studs while the passenger side is bolts.
Here's a weird one for you...my '84 has a Dana 70 rear axle. On both sides, every other bolt appears to be the original for the axle. The others are the same size, but Allen head. I'm guessing sometime before I got the truck, someone pulled an axleshaft out and lost the set of bolts for that side, so he used what he had onhand and sprinkled them evenly between the two sides. I haven't had to open up the axle other than pulling the rear cover to change fluid, but haven't had any leakage or bolts come off. I'll try to get a picture next time I'm near the truck...

By the way, this is a very interesting discussion on differences between bolt types...some good links to save for future reference ;Sweet

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@typ4

I can get bolts for 2.10 each in hundred quantity. Anybody interested? I would hate to be sitting on them forever ,lol. My price thru ford is 5.10, stupid for a bolt that is so common.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll take a set maybe more if you get enough orders to make it worth while. Let me know.