Ave Shop charge for installing new IP?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'd just like a ballpark figure, labor only.:dunno

Cause I just did two of them and may do more. A simple "Thank you" ain't gonna cut it any more, freakin ingrates.:kick:

These are E350 vans, not trucks, no turbos, but not a lot of room to work either.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'd just like a ballpark figure.:dunno

Cause I just did two of them and may do more. A simple "Thank you" ain't gonna cut it any more, freakin ingrates.:kick:

These are E350 vans, not trucks, no turbos, but not a lot of room to work either.

Whats the going hourly flat rate in your area?
around here it can be anywhere from $60-135 an hour depending on where you go $60 at some small independants and $135 at some dealerships, you can charge less than that, but have you stopped to figure out how much the electricity costs to run air compressors$$$, price of tools purchased/damaged, supplies used during the job, fuel used chasing odd parts. If you are planning on trying to make a buck at turning a wrench, you have to charge enough to make it worth your while to open the doors or you are paying to work.

If it's being done properly, I imagine the book allows probably 1.5-2 hours to install and time a pump, possibly more. it allows 1 hour just to time one ( and the job is not properly done if not timed).

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a profit, just trying to get a little compensation for my efforts.

I have no idea of local shop rates because I do all my own maintenance. I'm thinking 70% of a shop rate would be sufficient, and attractive enough for a client to accept it. I doubt I'll do another one for less than $200.

It took me a heck of a lot longer than 1-2 hours to remove, install, and time the last pump. I imagine the shop rate would be higher for vans than trucks.

Anyone actually paid a shop to install & time one?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I'm not trying to make a profit, just trying to get a little compensation for my efforts.

I have no idea of local shop rates because I do all my own maintenance. I'm thinking 70% of a shop rate would be sufficient, and attractive enough for a client to accept it. I doubt I'll do another one for less than $200.

It took me a heck of a lot longer than 1-2 hours to remove, install, and time the last pump. I imagine the shop rate would be higher for vans than trucks.

Anyone actually paid a shop to install & time one?
You can be sure the rate for vans is probably add an hour, just all the fooling with teh engine cover and seats and whatever else has to be moved before you can ever start, then I imagine you have to lay down to do the job, not fun. If you don't hear from anyone, check your local library, if it's of any size at all, they should have a mitchell or what have you time guide in the reference section, might not be for teh exact year, but it;ll give you an idea.

Treat folks right, do good work before long you may just have a nice little business going ;Sweet
I'm retired now, Had to close up shop, my old bones just won't let me do it anymore. It's all I can do to keep my own stuff on the road, but I still enjoy the heck out of playing with them :D

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
200 would be a very fair deal on a van.

79 300sd

Reaction score
Just looked up time for a 91 E350. Labor time is 5.0 hours and warranty time is 3.9 hours.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't do a van injection pump. I did look at one once.... :eek::angel: Thats all it took to make up my mind... I have no regrets either...:sly

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
I'd just like a ballpark figure, labor only.:dunno

My Nichols/Chilton Labor Guide gave the Van time as 5.3 hours. For comparison, the F-series time ( pick up) is 2.7 hours. That means about 2 1/2 hours extra time just because its a van!
The warranty time is what Ford "allows" for its factory trained mechanics to do the job when its under warranty ( and all the bolts are clean and fresh; no rust.)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Warranty time also means it's all the factory will allow to be paid from them which is why when a vehicle is in for a warranty repair , they ALWAYS try to find something that is not covered under warranty while they are in there so the customer has to foot something out of pocket so they can get some profit out of the bay time. It is very similar to the way health insurance companies cut payments to doctors when THEY are paying as in the negotiated rate as opposed to what the walk in the door rate is for services when paying cash. I did my time at a dealer many moons ago.