auxilery fuel tank

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a line on a good deal for this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200306721_200306721 do you think there is any way to plumb this into the fuel system... or any way to make this my only fuel tank? any help will be greatly appreciated
Sure you can use as ONLY fuel tank, just run lines from it to your main feed and return lines after the FSV I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

As for adding it in, I would likely tie a feed line from it to a fill tube of one tank or the other and add a small electric pump to feed into the tank as needed. No return line needed that way.

JM2CW

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would like to run it as my only fuel tank i didnt think i would run into any problems... thank you for confirming that riot

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The RETURN fuel will not be affected by the tank being higher; my huge 3rd tank auxilliary has been working thus for many many years.

I highly recommend dis-carding the electric tank-switching valve and using TWO 4-way manual valves to control which tank is being used.

I very-much prefer any auxilliary tank to be plumbed properly to the engine, with a DRAW and a RETURN line, whether incorporated via manual switching valves into a multi-tank system, or being used as an only tank.

I have witnessed many expensive scenarios from those using "gravity-flow" auxilliaries that feed directly into a stock tank.

Plumbing properly with DRAW and RETURN lines actually costs much less and is less headache than any of the other options.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
The RETURN fuel will not be affected by the tank being higher; my huge 3rd tank auxilliary has been working thus for many many years.

Is that with your cummins? Or an idi?

I thought if you restricted the return fuel on one of those(cummins), you actually gained some power. Or was that just the older big trucks?

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im a firm believer in one tank... it is less problems and less parts to worry about failing and putting your truck out of commission... i was never a fan of the tank selector switch/valve... this is why Im just trying to figure out a way to use one large tank compared to 2 small tanks... and i know all about the bronco mod but i have a toolbox any way so i might as well keep the tank in the bed with a fuel/tool box combo

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 100 gallon version of that on my 94. It's plumbed into the engine supply and return with two 3 way valves, no problem. The extra height it has to go up is a minor restriction, you'll never notice it.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome... thank you guys for all the quick responses... the guy Im buying it from is selling it for 100 bucks so it seems like a no brainer to me

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome... thank you guys for all the quick responses... the guy Im buying it from is selling it for 100 bucks so it seems like a no brainer to me

I was going to offer to sell you mine - but I want a lot more than $100. Thats a steal.

One thing to consider, I would not use this as a supply tank unless you put some kind of sump in it, and the supply and return come out of this sump. Problem is, with a big flat tank like that, you've probably got 40 gallons of useable capacity before you start getting a lot of air in the lines when you go around curves etc. Fairly straight, flat highway and you can run it down to just a few gallons, but take an exit and your engine will start stumbling. If you weld about a 4" round by 4" deep sump, and run the supply and return out of that, you could run it pretty much empty before refilling. Of course, this would require a hole cut in the bed, or raising the rest of the tank to fit.