Automatic Power Windows?

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
seems like a good place to ask, I recently replaced the door on the drivers side of my truck. it was all power windows but the drivers side was broken anyway so I just nixed it and replaced with a manual window. But I also wanted to keep the passenger side a power unit. The only problem is that now that I've hooked it all back up I get no reaction from the passenger side. Do I need to cross connect the cut off wires on the drivers side thats no longer there in order to get the passenger side working?

Seems like it would short something out but then again, it is a Ford.

Boston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
figured it out, little thing called a ground wire :rotflmao

works like a charm

GreenDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GreenDiesel, so you didn't have really automatic windows in that Bronco, just regular power windows - which is just what I had too, till I upgraded to these setups in the PDF. By the way, the "bricknose" style window motors are rebuildable, well it depends on the carnage inside them, but sometimes they are not really dead per se, just stuck due to rust buildup - take them apart and see what you find in there.

Yea I misunderstood, just regular windows, and thats a good Idea about the U-pull it crown vic motor, I should do that, thanks!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone cares, here is a small update. As mentioned before the electronic brain box needed for this mod is easiest to find in Taurii, but some '92-'97 Panthers (Crown Vic, Grand Marquis, Towncar) have it as well - the Taurus box attaches IIRC directly to the plastic door panel (on the inside) and therefore has no mounting brackets of its own (hence the use of zip-ties to secure said boxes in both our trucks), but the Panther box is actually bolted to the door itself and as such it has a nice little mounting bracket to go with it when being salvaged. This is what a Panther brain box and its bracket look like:

You must be registered for see images

The Panther box is blue in color, the Taurus one is black, but they both do the same thing and get wired up in identical manner. Oh, and the Panther mounting bracket swaps over to the Taurus box, in case you happen to find a Panther box that is inop for some reason or another. What you see in those pics is the bracket in its factory shape, it can easily be flattened, bent, and drilled as you see fit, heck you can weld the thing to your doors if you so desire (obviously remove the brain box from it first).

On a slightly unrelated note, the lockout feature for non-driver's window switches that was briefly mentioned as the next likely upgrade to the power windows circuits has been cancelled, at least for the near future - if someone else feels like trying to figure that mess out go right ahead, lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes