auto vs a stick for a diesel in heavy populated area's?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
My buddie Dan is trying to sell off a few things it'll be a while before he contacts me, but would an automatic or a stick be better for where he is in NYC? Pro's and con's??

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto is nice because your not shifting constantly in traffic. If you do the torque converter lock-up mod you can get engine braking similar to a manual. I do like a 4 speed but after a long day at work the automatic is sure nice.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends on his personal preference and needs.

I drive a f550 with the zf-6 and a Dodge 3500 with a six speed, all day at work. The ford is real low geared, like 5.xx something. Dunno what the Dodge has, but they're towing gears also.
By the time I get off, I wouldn't mind an auto. But at least I only have 5 gears in my truck.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I miss having a auto sometimes in traffic or when I hit every light going through down town Salem with short blocks. 4.10/4.11 gearing with 35's, with my ZF, 1st is almost useless and 2nd is too tall to start in with out smoking from lugging unless pointed down hill. Usually shifting out of or about to shift out of 2nd by the time I cross the light from the stop line/cross walk. Probably wouldn't be so bad with 3.55's.

Jake_IN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I live in Chicago right now and i drive my 94 Exploder which has a 5 speed. As much as i like driving stick I have to admit to despising it in the city. There's been more than one occasion where i've driven home and the next day i was walking with a limp because of the hours I spent on the clutch. In other news avoid taking the Kennedy expressway east on a Friday evening, especially if you drive stick.

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I miss having a auto sometimes in traffic or when I hit every light going through down town Salem with short blocks. 4.10/4.11 gearing with 35's, with my ZF, 1st is almost useless and 2nd is too tall to start in with out smoking from lugging unless pointed down hill. Usually shifting out of or about to shift out of 2nd by the time I cross the light from the stop line/cross walk. Probably wouldn't be so bad with 3.55's.
Ya might wanna look into 4:11 or 4:56 gears

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. 4.10LS. I drive my truck where it makes torque, winding it up is a waste of time unless I'm on a big hill and I'm trying to keep the exh temp in check. So keep that in mind.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I think I would still go standard if I were in the city a lot. Having said that, city driving is ******* any kinda transmission or clutch so I wouldn't expect to rack up a ton of miles before repairs are needed.
A C6 is great for city driving in my opinion as they are tough and one is usually never going fast enough for needing an OD. And would most likely out last an E4od in the city

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
AUTO! I miss my c6 when I sit in traffic. My left leg can kick a hole in a block wall. It gets old sawing a hole in the floor with the clutch pedal.

Leeland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My fault didnt know that's what you were doin

No worries. I'm was just trying I simply say I miss a auto some times in traffic with some reason as to why I feel that way.
On the flip side, I do not miss the issues I was having with a e4od in my truck.
Again, I do think a 3.55 with a ZF probably wouldn't be so bad.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I drive in heavy traffic on a regular basis, and I have some lower back and hip issues that make pushing a clutch pedal physically difficult at times. With that said, I'll take a clutch over an automatic any day of the week, to the point where I went out of my way to find a manual transmission car when I was looking for my Jetta. IMHO it's really a matter of personal preference. I prefer the simplicity of a manual; there's less to go wrong and I don't have to worry about an overheating transmission. I also prefer the efficiency that a ZF gives over a C6 (the lockup converter on an E4DOA mitigates that a bit, but I wouldn't touch an E4DOA with a 10' pole due to the durability issues). I also prefer the control that a manual gives you, particularly with engine braking coming down hills. Lastly, I simply prefer how a manual-transmission vehicle handles ;Sweet

But, that's just me...