auto power

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked out the Diesel Dynamics calculator and for my aplication it only allowed me 190 hp. Is my automatic only capable of 190 hp? How much is too much for the trans? I know that heat is the enemy and plan on doing some stuff to keep the temps down.

Whit

Reaction score
ATF starts breaking down at 270*

tranny prolly start breaking down before that, not much of an auto guy sorry

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
That's about all it'll hold unless you start modding it. A shift kit is a good first step, but not if you're going to replace the whole tranny in a few months.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the weakest link in dodge transmissions are the torque convertors and overdrive clutches. if you want to beef up your trans for any reliability youll need
a t/c
a beefed up valve body
a good clutch set....and not an oem replacement.

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Holtzer. Thats the kind of info I need. Any recomendation on aftermarket parts? DTT and ATS are two I've noticed from other boards. I may as well change out all the clutches if I'm going to pull the trans for a TC anyway. It's on my to do list. I think my next mods will be boost and EGT guages. Then I'll probably piece a water/**** system together and then work on getting some lift leafs so I can replace those stupid blocks Dodge thought they'd put on all there trucks. You can see I'm compiling a list. I'll do my best to stay off the skinny peddle with mods untill I can beef up the trans.