ats turbo kit

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a decent kit and those folks are not bad to deal with. If I was buying a new turbo though I would probably buy a Hypermax kit. H-max is usually under 2 grand and has great add ons and customer support. A guy on here named Huff sells or used to sell them. You can usually cobble together your own kit for much less if you are good at fabrication and hunting down hard to find parts. A couple members are using DT466 turbos on their trucks. You can usually find used ATS 088 or 093 turbochargers relatively complete in wrecking yards or on ebay.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's a decent kit and those folks are not bad to deal with. If I was buying a new turbo though I would probably buy a Hypermax kit. H-max is usually under 2 grand and has great add ons and customer support. A guy on here named Huff sells or used to sell them. You can usually cobble together your own kit for much less if you are good at fabrication and hunting down hard to find parts. A couple members are using DT466 turbos on their trucks. You can usually find used ATS 088 or 093 turbochargers relatively complete in wrecking yards or on ebay.
well i have the skills to make a setup, but just dont want to have to deal with all the headache. i would rather just buy a new complete setup bolt it on and go on my merry little way. now if i could find a complete used turbo setup that i know is good and is dirt cheap then we might think about it.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i dont know a whole lot about the differences in turbos, and i know most people prefer a non waiste gated turbo because there better on the high end. where as a waiste gated is better on the low end. am i correct on that assumption of the two? i dont have problems with the power on the low rpm's its the higher rpm's id like to work on. i would like to be able to stay up with most of the trafic pulling my fiver and at least be able to climb a hill without the people behind me having a panic attack because im going to slow.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You want Hypermax then if you want the bolt on kit, good price, etc and a new system. You ain't gonna get the most out of it with that injection pump you have I don't think though. I bet it would still be a very noticeable difference.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And yes you are correct in your assumptions about the WG vs. Non wastegate, I have the non gated ATS and it barely makes any boost around town but when I cross that 2000 rpm threshold it will boost fast and hard, and non gated turbos only stop when they run out of fuel, rpm, or the engine blows.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what exactly is the difference between a turbo pump and a n/a pump other than the pump is turned up more.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an awfully good question. I think the timing curve and fuel delivery curves may be a bit different and they are used to match the emissions reducing G code injectors. Honestly I think you'll be very happy with any 7.3 pump and 8 new BB code injectors. Even if you add a turbo. The only thing that would be significantly different would be one of Agenem's Moose pumps or if you could find a local vendor willing to build you a "hot" DB2 pump. The factory turbo pump without the Moose or DPS upgrades was not all that special from what I can gather. Just look at the HP ratings for the factory turbo engines 185 HP, only 10 more than your 7.3 NA, I suspect even turning up a NA pump and adding a turbo of any kind gives you more HP at the crank than that.

3d_danny

Reaction score
I just put a Banks turbo on my 91 F250.

My original plan was to put on a ATS kit but could not find one anywhere for a 7.3. Most places drop ship directly from ATS. I called ATS and they said the original supplier for the turbo mount pedestal quit making them and they were still without a reliable supplier. They said a kit would be possibly 1-2 months out. J & H Diesel kit comes in around $2425

On the other hand, the Banks Stinger Turbo kit (directly from Banks) cost me $2600. It is a very complete kit that included their complete "Monster" exhaust system for a Super Cab with a chrome tip, a pyro and boost gauge with mounting hardware, and Ram air intake system. I was impressed with the instruction manual, the quality of the hardware, and the absolute completeness of the kit. They supplied all of the sealants, anti-seize, as well as polishing paste for the chrome exhaust tip when I was finished. ;p

$2600 is not the normal price. When I called them, they told me the list was $3100 but on "sale" at $2900. I told them it wasn't good enough and I was ready to buy today. It must have been a slow sales week.....LOL

zpd307

Reaction score
until i read the end of your post, i was going to say...... how in the hell did you get all of that for $2600. if you could aford it, that is a good price for everything you will need. banks exhaust is only 3" if i remember right.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That was a really good price for the Banks kit... Now dump the exhaust and install a 4 inch straight pipe without a muffler. You egt wil drop and the motor will make more hp. This is because the exhaust is much more free flowing. The only downfall to the Banks turbo is they are a Mistubishi turbo and very hard to find parts fr. I waited around 4 months to have my spare Banks turbo rebuilt. I searched from coast to coast lookng for a hot wheel and shaft. Finally found it but... Mistubishi wont help you find a part in there inventory unless you give them the part number. Thats no way to do business when a customer has mony to spend. Banks is of no help at all for parts to rebuild a turbo. They will sell you a complete turbo ready to bolt into your old turbo housing..... For $1100.00.....:eek: Ask me how I know this.....:D-cuss There shop is about 20 miles from my home so that helps some.....

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Here is what you want, a Hypermax system It cost a bunch less than the others, way easier to install than that rinky **** ATS setup that will leave you ripping your hair out and creating new words, and Hypermax has great customer support. Hypermax is also the only company left out there that is still actively developing products for our trucks, so we should be supporting them ;Sweet
I have an ATS on mine, but if I had it to do over, I would put a Hypermax on. I had nothing but lies and headaches trying to get a downpipe out of ATS and the darn thing didn't even fit properly when it got here after over a month.

When I called Hypermax about their Cowl induction they were so helpful ( even though I have a competitors turbo on ) and I got the part in a few days and when I called to ask about their smoke puff limiter, i got to talk with the guy who designed the thing ;Sweet I will be buying one of those as well.

Besides, if you are doing any kind of towing, you want a non wastegated system anyway, and really, a turbo with a wastegate is kind of useless for towing and more for tire screeching . The non wastegated system is going to make best use of what the engine has to offer when you need it most ;Sweet

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i looked at the hypermax setup and compairing looking at my truck between the firewall and the back of the motor how and the (pleep) does those up pipes fit through there?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i looked at the hypermax setup and compairing looking at my truck between the firewall and the back of the motor how and the (pleep) does those up pipes fit through there?

They look like they fit a lot easier than that ATS noise does that requires you to cut the firewall and bend it in with a big honkin' chunk of pipe ( difficult enough with the engine out, I don't know how anyone does it with the engine in ). According to Hypermax " no vehicle modifications are necessary" although I bet like with all turbo installs it would be wise to replace old worn cab mounts before starting.