ats turbo issues need replacment

glfritz

Reaction score
I have a 92 ford idi with a ats turbo kit on it. somebody else installed a used engine and the customer drove it 4 miles home. no power a lot of blueish white smoke. it was hauled to my shop and dropped off. finally got it started and in the shop smoked horribly bluish white. leaking a lot of oil looks like trans is covered. pulled intake off turbo and something has gone through the turbo. the intake side of the wheel with pressure can be made to contact the housing. the intake has a lot of oil in it. I think the turbo is leaking oil into the intake causing it to run ****** and smoke. when I looked at the ats web site they don't offer anything for the idi turbo kits they sold. my question is where can I get this turbo rebuilt? somebody must sell a replacement thanks a lot for any info.

glfritz

Reaction score
don't know which kit it is, cant really find much info on there early idi kits. the only P/N is on the turbo is H730441 s/n 01629 it has a very nice square air box/intake to the turbo. Another shop put the used motor (Guy saw it run before he bought it) and installed the turbo, hauled to my shop on a trailer with a few miles on it. clean engine oil on top and rear of motor and trans, 99% sure engine was burning turbo lube oil, clean side of air box very oily and dirty. Obvious fresh fin damage on inlet turbine wheel. excessive oil in intake. I am going to get the turbo rebuilt and see if it runs and go from there.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The oil in intake is normal from the cdr. When I got my truck I had compressor damage too and I believe it was from the oil caking inside of the intake from the cdr and breaking off and hitting the compressor fins.

glfritz

Reaction score
looking at it why cant the breather be piped to the atmosphere instead of the intake. we work on a lot of Cummins and the crankcase breather goes to the atmosphere not the intake. yes the air box is very oily and dirty. I am thinking either the previous mechanic fired it up without the air cleaner or some debris in the air box went through the already wore out turbo. it is obvious the air box wasn't cleaned by the amount of grime and oil.

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Venting to the air doesn't work as well as a slight vacuum on it. I know, I ran a catch can before it and actually had more seeping some old seals than when I just ran it directly to intake.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
looking at it why cant the breather be piped to the atmosphere instead of the intake. we work on a lot of Cummins and the crankcase breather goes to the atmosphere not the intake. yes the air box is very oily and dirty. I am thinking either the previous mechanic fired it up without the air cleaner or some debris in the air box went through the already wore out turbo. it is obvious the air box wasn't cleaned by the amount of grime and oil.
And have you ever seen a Cummins that doesn't have a oil leak?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk