ATS Turbo Installation

paintedreams

Reaction score
Ok guy's I have a question I just completed installation of my turbo and it was a used kit so my question is what would happen if I didn't hook up the Anti-Depression valve into the valve cover? Reason I ask is because the kit did not come with the valve cover that has the hole and I don't want to take my cover off to put the hole in it right now. Will it hurt the turbo or the engine? Please help!!
Thanks, Dewey

Exekiel69

Reaction score
If the cdr valve is still on the factory location You Must remove it and re-route. You don't want the turbo puting air pressure in Your engine's oil system, that valve is meant to deliver oil steam from the crankcase into the intake. You can also order IP cover adapter from banks and install an RDT (road draft tube), then You will not need to remove or make holes on any valve cover.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dewey-

You want to get that hooked up and working ASAP. It acts like a PCV on a gasoline engine, allowing oil vapors and crankcase pressure to be vented. When you installed the ATS system, you effectively blocked off the crankcase vent with the turbo pedestal. Now all those vapors and crankcase pressures have nowhere to go, and will find the weakest link- be it a crank seal, valve cover gasket, or whatever.

Point is, take the hour to remove that valve cover and put the hole in it. OR, you can order the adaptor from a Banks kit that goes on the IP gear cover on the front of the engine. Either way, you need to run it.

Ryan

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a good idea

Ive been there and done that.
I installed a used Ats kit on my 93 and was in the same boat.
I was all excited an had to start it and run to make sure there was no leaks the all the sudden I had oil running down the down pipe . :puke:
I called a turbo rebuilder the next day thinking thet the turbo was ruined or???
They said check for excess crankcase pressure, check the valve.
I then proceeded to tell him that I didnt hook it up yet. :rotflmao He said thats the problem that the turbo works on pressure and with the crankcase pressure high it is pushing oil up the drain and out the exhaust.
So make sure you hook it up.
I want to the parts store and bought a preformed hose and a gromet to match on the ID.
I think it was 1" to run off the valve and make a 90 degree bend then used pvc 90 an put a stud of pipe out of each end.
Put one stub in the hose going to the valve and the other end I held to the valve cover and marked the spot. I was shooting for the flat spot on the valve cover.
Then took off the valve cover, drilled the hole, installed the gromet and put it back together. :thumbsup:
Good Luck
John

paintedreams

Reaction score
Well I decided that I needed a valve cover gasket so I went ahead and put one on and drilled the hole and mounted the hose so thanks for help.