ATS Intercooler for sale fits 88-93 7.3 IDI

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You = not my friend anymore becuase im jelly of you lol

i bought it for spare parts just in case if I wreck (not likely) or hit a deer (very likely).
i have no problem replicating this kit since ATS no longer sells the kit but I am not willing to bear the development costs entirely by myself. unfortunately, most members here are too broke to help or think people have no issues with working for free.
we have a member here who is in the alu casting business and was willing to make the mold at cost, but I still couldn't get people to understand it doesn't come for free.

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
I remember seeing that thread on here I think as well about the intake hats.

I understand, it's a shame really, but it's like that everywhere, even more so with the Internet and online forums because there is no consequence for not following through., I was big into the rotary engine rx7 scene 10 years ago, and it was the same way back then with parts for the cars and what not on the rx7club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pork_Chop50

He looks kinda hairy and slobbery to me....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat I also saw the casting post and while I'm a little late to the game I would throw a little money at refabbing the ATS IC. This is exactly the reason I asked if it was still available hoping that it would get information or lead to another kit if possible. I saw the ebay post and I don't want to spend more than $800 to get a setup, and that came from the number of homebuilt setups that cost $600-800. So if the option of getting a casting is available, and replicating the ATS setup is possible I'd love to make it happen.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat I also saw the casting post and while I'm a little late to the game I would throw a little money at refabbing the ATS IC. This is exactly the reason I asked if it was still available hoping that it would get information or lead to another kit if possible. I saw the ebay post and I don't want to spend more than $800 to get a setup, and that came from the number of homebuilt setups that cost $600-800. So if the option of getting a casting is available, and replicating the ATS setup is possible I'd love to make it happen.
to be honest with you, it's going to be cheaper if you fabbed up your own kit thru fleabay. if you are a cost conscious person, the dimensions for the IC is roughly the same as a OEM Mitsu EVO IC. Those are avail roughly $100. ATS sources their IC from Garret or Spearco. those are $500. what's the difference? it takes alot longer to heat up at Spearco/Garret IC due to the bar and plate design. the Mitsu is a tube and fin type IC.
When I did my IC kit purchase, getting the one I wanted was primary, cost was secondary. I blew past your "budget" of $800 a long time ago. I wanted this kit due to it's design. I don't like the idea of having to cut into a radiator support that has issues of stress fractures already. If you have followed F350camper's thread "let's talk intercoolers", I purchased the orig ATS kit back in 2005 for $1300 and haven't regretted it at all. After installation and use, I am firmly convinced that it was money well spent. When kits full or partial become availible, I don't hesitate to buy them. Why? I now have the peace of mind in knowing I can fix my truck immediately when something happens to it. Knowing that is priceless for me. For you to think that you can copy ATS's engineering at a cheaper price is ludicrous in my mind, reverse engineering is NEVER CHEAP. In order for a company or person to recover the cost of reverse engineering, you must sell a shitload of copied parts. With all the tightasses in the IDI world, that just isn't going to happen. As "expensive" as most in the IDI world think go-fast parts are, they have absolutely no freaking clue of the real high performance world. What little we can do to these motors costs little compared to the realities of what people spend on other makes to do more.

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
to be honest with you, it's going to be cheaper if you fabbed up your own kit thru fleabay. ..... When I did my IC kit purchase, getting the one I wanted was primary, cost was secondary. I blew past your "budget" of $800 a long time ago. I wanted this kit due to it's design. I don't like the idea of having to cut into a radiator support that has issues of stress fractures already. If you have followed F350camper's thread "let's talk intercoolers", I purchased the orig ATS kit back in 2005 for $1300 and haven't regretted it at all. After installation and use, I am firmly convinced that it was money well spent ...... For you to think that you can copy ATS's engineering at a cheaper price is ludicrous in my mind, reverse engineering is NEVER CHEAP.

Towcat makes many valid points that I won't argue. The reason I want this kit is the same as yours, I don't want to cut into the radiator support. As for reverse engineering, again you're right. It isn't cheap. But I am fortunate enough to live on a farm where exists the tools to allow me to buy the pipe, steel, and other "cheap" material to create what I want. The parts I can't make, such as the IC and cast intake, are what I hope to acquire. I didn't honestly know the IC was a Garret sourced part, and if I can get that and the intake for my $800 (I don't know how likely that is) I hope to spend time with a tube bender copying the rest of the kit. So I hope this reply doesn't sound like an arrogant argument, because I believe and agree with the points made by twocat.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat makes many valid points that I won't argue. The reason I want this kit is the same as yours, I don't want to cut into the radiator support. As for reverse engineering, again you're right. It isn't cheap. But I am fortunate enough to live on a farm where exists the tools to allow me to buy the pipe, steel, and other "cheap" material to create what I want. The parts I can't make, such as the IC and cast intake, are what I hope to acquire. I didn't honestly know the IC was a Garret sourced part, and if I can get that and the intake for my $800 (I don't know how likely that is) I hope to spend time with a tube bender copying the rest of the kit. So I hope this reply doesn't sound like an arrogant argument, because I believe and agree with the points made by twocat.
unless you have a mandrel bender on your farm, you won't get the smoothness in bends as the pipes are. one more thing, I'm just as handy with vehicles even though I live in the big city. I happen to own a facility that can completely rebuild cars and trucks. milking a cow and raising pigs......not so easy for where i am at.

Pork_Chop50

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right, and I should have said I have access to facilities that I can work on my vehicle. There are many great projects that come from all over the place, and talent comes from a variety of backgrounds. While I do not own a mandrel bender, I have access to one that I planned to use.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7