Ats 088 turbo question

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
Hi. I have a complete ats 088 on an engine at the house and was wondering if it's worth putting on my na . Don't hear much on here about them is why I am asking. I know it's non wastegated but I have a truck camper I use the truck for and dragging a tractor. Thanks.

Mike_42

Kid Mechanic
Reaction score
I have one, I dont know how it drove before the turbo but the previous owner said it was night and day.

I have driven N/A idi's and definitely a difference. I get about 17mpg 50/50 city and highway. And usually go 73mph on interstate

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that it's a little harder to find parts for since it's an older model, but don't let that discourage you from using it. As they say here, any turbo's better than no turbo! Since it's non wastegated, it will take more rpm's to start building boost. This is because it has a bigger exhaust (I think) housing. To me, that's an advantage. At least 98% of my towing will be on the highway and the bigger housing helps to keep the EGT's down.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In some builds I almost prefer the 088 because of the larger exhaust housing, the 093 chokes the exhaust up real quick once you start adding power because of how small the exhaust housing is on it, even with the wastegate open

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
Is there a wheel upgrade for these that would help also such as wicked wheel or something similar?

Steve Olkowski

Reaction score
Also when I remove old CDr valve for oil drain I believe I read to punch holes in the area with an ice pick where the valve mounted to allow for the amount of oil draining. Is That correct ?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a wheel upgrade for these that would help also such as wicked wheel or something similar?

PM Russ aka typ4. He rebuilt my 088 and did a fantastic job on it. I had a stock wheel and my rig would put out 13 psi. I believe he offers a wicked wheel for it as well.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes, Steve, punch a hole with something in the valley pan for the oil drain back. I wouldn't use an ice pick, though. I use a punch on an air hammer. One hole that's about 3/8" seems to work, but there's nothing wrong with multiple holes either. Russ rebuilt my first gen Banks a few months ago. I had him do the modded wheel. I can't wait to get it installed and see how it runs. I guess I have to though since my heads are at the machine shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online