ATF+ ACETONE

Discussion in 'Diesel Additives, Oils, Lubricants, Fuel, etc.' started by DesertBen44, May 12, 2013.

1. DesertBen44

DesertBen44 Full Access Member

Well, Just wanted to re-state what has been said here, ATF + Acetone is by far superior to anything else I have used as far as getting off stuck old nasty rusty 20 year old nuts and bolts.

I mixed up a fresh batch this morning, sprayed 2 bumper mount bolts, and left 2 unsprayed. This is all taking place on the 1993 dodge I am dismantling, factory bumper btw if it matters.

Came back only a half hour later, sprayed bolts came out with ease, no air tools, just my regular sized 3/8 ratchet

As far as the 2 unsprayed bolts, Using a 1/2 wratchet It took me a lot of pulling and repositioning just to break the torque, and fought me the entire way off. Took at least 1 minute total, and tired me out

for the last unsprayed bolt, well, I figured I had learned enough for the day, and took advantage of the fact that it was in a spot my IR 1/2 impact could hit.

Not concrete evidence or anything, just remember the thread about the university study that pitted rust-lubricating oils against each other, and figured I would share my experience.

I most likely will not be buying and liquid wrench, kroil, PB Blaster, or any of the like in the future for this purpose.

****BE CAUTIOUS WITH ACETONE VAPORS***** Guys at work clean sealant off there skin with this stuff, I also would NOT recommend that.

2. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

What ratio do you use?

Could mineral spirits replace the acetone and still be affective?

3. Dsl_Dog_Treat

Dsl_Dog_Treat I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle Staff Member

It's a 50/50 mix.

4. DesertBen44

DesertBen44 Full Access Member

50/50 yep, another thing to note I noticed cleaning up the garage, is that in the container the ATF collects at the bottom below the acetone, so give it a good shake before you spray it!

As for the mineral spirits, It might but im not sure. Acetone is very different from mineral spirits so I would stick with that. It evaporates faster, and in my experience, works as a solvent much better.

5. 79jasper

79jasper Chickenhawk

Thanks. I'm going to try it.

6. riotwarrior

riotwarrior Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yes this works for weasil piss