Arrrrrrggggg.......I killed my glow plugs

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Damn, I had a feeling that was the case. My girlfriend got her car stuck in the driveway on the way to her ultrasound, we had a huge storm the night before, and she was freaking out, and pregnant. The Ford wasn't plugged in since I didn't plan on driving it that day. But with her freaking out and my frantic excitment, when the truck didn't fire after a normal 12 second glow at 8 degrees, I cranked it with the glow plugs on till it fired. It worked for the next few days but never started as good. But we got to the ultrasound and I found out I'm having a son so it was worth a set of glow plugs to get there.

Just ****** me off cuz we are strapped for cash and in the process of moving across the country. But I guess better they died before I left than on the road.

The funny part is when towing her out (the Ford still needed the brakes bled before going on the road), we got to the road and I look in the rear view mirrow and she goes out the driveway, across the road, and into the ditch on the other side of the road. So I give it some gas, truck starts walking sideways on the icy road, get her out of the ditch........and she goes across the road and into the ditch on the other side of the road. Finally I get her out of that ditch and I go up to her car and she says "what were you doing?! you were dragging me all over the place?!" She had no idea she was supposed to be steering and using the brakes when we got to the road, she was talking on her phone!!!

Just had to share this, I got a set of Motorcrafts on order, should be at NAPA 15 minutes ago.

I'm gonna get a can of starter fluid in case I need to start it when its really cold and I don't have it plugged in. How long do you spray the ether in for? I know not to use the glow plugs with the ether.

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would use either only as a last ditch (have to get to the hospital....now!)

Block heater or some form of heat under the engine (shielded from the wind).

The IDIs run pretty high comp. ratios. That and either would seem to be a
tough combo..

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I burned out my GP's a few weeks ago when it got real cold.

I have a pretty long intake so it takes about 5 seconds of cranking before the ether hits the motor and it fires. You have to give the motor fuel so the RPM's are up to keep the motor running or it will die again since it isn't hot enough to fire the diesel at low RPM. After about 10 seconds of running it will run at idle.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i use ether i spray it for under a second just a tad but then again it doesnt get extra cold here

tractorman86

Reaction score
If i use ether i spray it for under a second just a tad but then again it doesnt get extra cold here

that's about all you would ever need but ether isn't as bad as some say as long as you are just kinda careful. just my $.02

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah all 8 of my GP are shot and im strapped for cash to replace.

So when i have to start it i spray the tiniest bit in there it fires right up.

Ive tried Wd-40 and propane neither worked.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Hmm, I've started my 85 with the stock controller@ -35 degree's.

If yours does'nt start @ 8 Degrees. Something else prolly needs attention?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Congrats on the young'un. The burnt out glow plugs and spontaneous wallet drain, well, let's just say that's a sign of things to come :angel:

Robert---------With three times the fun

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used ether only once on my truck. No glow plugs, a tiny snort in the intake from a mechanic friend while I was cranking. The IH IDIs can handle it if used very carefully. Again a slight mist NOT a flood! With the glow plugs it is pretty understandable that you panicked under those conditions. Remember it really should only be a quick 6-8 second burn. The reason being they are 6V plugs form a 12V source. The real fix is 12V glow plugs or step down the voltage at the harness to 6V. That is a tall order for a man on a budget though. It still should have started right up, so you probably have some air leaks or already had a dead plug or two or three.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking about it, it had started better when the plugs were new. But now it has new Motorcrafts.

"Something else prolly needs attention?" and it does, but its just getting the glow plugs for now. Going to New Mexico and hopefully getting a job as a diesel tech so with the new job I'll still have more money after the baby than we have now. So maybe I'll finally get to do more to this truck than keep it on the road.

And thanks on the congrats about the boy. It was worth killing the glow plugs to see the ultrasound. And it was funny as hell towing her down the driveway and out of the ditch..twice. I don't know why I just thought getting towed was such common sense.