are these the right freeze plugs?

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
the bottom set, stainless steel is correct. make sure you have the install tool.

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
awesome thanks, I'll get those on order

I have a drawing of the tool that i found in another thread, a friend of mine works in a machine shop and is going to make the tool for me on his breaks

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Personally I would purchase ONLY the Ford or International set. Reason for this is they are the only plugs that fit correctly. It cost me nearly $5000.00 to find this out. damn fools who did my machine work installed brass plugs with a socket or punch. One fell out in less than 3 miles. the next one popped out around 5000 miles pulling the famous Grape Vine out of L.A. Loose all your coolant and the temp sender sees no coolant. When I heard the engine knocking because the oil temp was passing 330 degrees I locked up before I could get the rig pulled over. Very expensive lesson learned... Our original plugs are concave and cut to a certain bevel so they dig into the cast iron of the block lip. Use a sealant on the plugs when Installing them. We need a set of 7 plugs and they are all the same size. You can use the expander type for the block heater because this is the only place that does not have the special seal lip.Please be sure this recessed lip is clean before installing a plug. Final thought is we have no way of "testing the install. We can't ring them for a sound like other ways of knowing something is right. I did fabricate a complete set of hydro block plates 10 years ago. Your welcome to use them. If you use them just install the heads and them the plates on all the oil cooler or coolant passages. Air test to no more than 25 lbs and check with Snoop Leak Detector ot make some diluted soapy water and spray on the plugs. Look for bubbles. Caution must be taken with pressure on the block and plugs. Under pressure they can blow out and hurt you

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so even those are stainless and they are concave you wouldn't use them?

i bought a set from Napa but they are the same past number as the ones on rock auto that are marked as stainless, just waiting for a buddy to make the tool for me so i can install them

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also this is what the freeze plugs look like that the machine shop installed, the engine is painted because i kinda forgot about the freeze plugs until i was going through a list of things to be done before install
You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also this is what the freeze plugs look like that the machine shop installed, the engine is painted because i kinda forgot about the freeze plugs until i was going through a list of things to be done before install
You must be registered for see images attach

Just a thought....along w thos plugs which do look correct but incorrectly installed.....

You might want to remove the BLOCK plug on each side and install petcocks...or turn out the plugs use some liquid teflon thelread sealant and put em back in...snug but not so tight u cannot get em out for a coolant change or such....

SPR1NK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes petcocks are something i will be doing, the 6.9 in my truck has them and i was going to do the same to the 7.3

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe these engines came with sealant on freeze plugs from factory. Very good idea to put some on before installing them.