Anyone running dual exhaust?

sweet66monza

Reaction score
A buddy of mine converted his 24v cummins from stacks to duals out the back and I really like how it changed the sound. I know my V8 will sound completely different, but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with dual exhaust on a factory turbo IDI. At least on his cummins, it now sounds a lot smoother and a lot throatier than it ever has.

thanks!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Just my personal opinion: Dual exhaust are pointless on a turbo diesel.
Yes I have heard a few cummins and powerstrokes with dual outlet exhaust, and they seemed quieter.

Their will be NO performance gains. In theory it could possibly sound a little deeper, but you're buying twice the pipe for no actual gains.
I feel the same with stacks, unless you are running smaller diameter stacks.

So to me, if you kept the pipe size smaller than what you would run as a single, it may sound okay.

Now N/A diesel's are a whole other animal, you can run true duals, which will sound better.

I'm sure someone who knows fluid dynamics can give some pipe diameter recommendations.

Also in my experience, excessively bigger pipe just creates annoying drone.

Take it for what you will, just my opinion/experience.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as dual exhaust on a single-bank (e.g. Cummins) or single-turbo (e.g. IDI-T) engine. It's just dual pipes, and looks (because it is) phony.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like the big rigs, only one pipe comes out of the engine so you only need 1 exhaust. As stated, if you are N/A the duals might help. Otherwise it might change the sound/looks, but not the performance. Only the butt dyno knows for sure!!!!:rotflmao

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
My neighbor's F250 N/A has true duals and it sounds really cool, but it's loud as hell when he's in the throttle. Over 2K RPM's, it sounds like 2 automatic shotguns going off...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I see we all agreed. LOL
I also wanted to add that a full length exhaust will almost always sound better than stacks anyways.
It's all in the distance travel of the pipe.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I have 4" duals on my obs stroker. It was only a little bit more for the dual diamond eye kit. I like it for dusting tailgaters off my bumper....

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wanted duals but the cost to have them done up was out of my range at the Time. I went with a single 3 inch instead. It's pretty loud . Louder than I wanted but oh well.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to use a K4308A from diamond eye.... 4" aluminized duals made for a 94.5-97 powerstroke , but ill just retrofit it to my ats 3" down pipe .... $300-350 dollar range .... And it's mandrel bent .... I ran a single 4" on my 6.0L 6 speed then went to 4" duals.... In my opinion the duals had alot better sound

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My friend has Mbrp dual pro 4in 5in tip cat back T-304 high grade kit an on his 99 stroker sounds amazing! Very throaty.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
I'm going to use a K4308A from diamond eye.... 4" aluminized duals made for a 94.5-97 powerstroke , but ill just retrofit it to my ats 3" down pipe .... $300-350 dollar range .... And it's mandrel bent .... I ran a single 4" on my 6.0L 6 speed then went to 4" duals.... In my opinion the duals had alot better sound

Thats what I have. Corey (dieselcrawler) has the same on his idi dually.

Still Strokin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How well did they fit? The last kit I bought from diamond eye was a piece of sh^t..... Do you have a gooseneck hit in your truck?