Anyone have any experience with Rockauto?

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have bought parts from RockAuto and they were the right parts and on time. I prefer to spend money in my county, but sometimes the price difference, even with shipping, is worth the wait of shipping.

Archie

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I ordered some tie rod ends from them, good price, cheap shipping. I would order again, but...

I mentioned that I used them to the O'Reilly store down the street, and the guys there set me up a corporate account for free that gets me up to 20% off on everything they (O'Reilly) sell. They will look up parts on RockAuto right there in the store, and knock as much off the price as they can to get comparable to RockAuto...without having to pay shipping, it usually ends up being very close. I don't work for O'Reilly or get paid to advertise for them or anything, just wanted to say that if you have one in your neighborhood, I'm impressed by how far they're willing to go to keep customers from going to RockAuto, and it might be worth investigating. And if the particular store doesn't have it in stock, they can get it next day.

Just sharing my experience with them, they are now my preferred parts house. RockAuto is second, and Advanced is a close third (mainly because they're the only place that had a correct OEM replacement for our accelerator cables w/ cruise when I REALLY needed one).

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered some tie rod ends from them, good price, cheap shipping. I would order again, but...

I mentioned that I used them to the O'Reilly store down the street, and the guys there set me up a corporate account for free that gets me up to 20% off on everything they (O'Reilly) sell. They will look up parts on RockAuto right there in the store, and knock as much off the price as they can to get comparable to RockAuto...without having to pay shipping, it usually ends up being very close. I don't work for O'Reilly or get paid to advertise for them or anything, just wanted to say that if you have one in your neighborhood, I'm impressed by how far they're willing to go to keep customers from going to RockAuto, and it might be worth investigating. And if the particular store doesn't have it in stock, they can get it next day.

Just sharing my experience with them, they are now my preferred parts house. RockAuto is second, and Advanced is a close third (mainly because they're the only place that had a correct OEM replacement for our accelerator cables w/ cruise when I REALLY needed one).

Excellent point, Oriellys WILL go out of their way to price match and keep your business. Its the one chain store I actually DONT have a problem with.

Plus I like to see what Im getting before I get it. No worse feeling than depending on an order, only to have it be the wrong thing.

To the OP, Rock Auto is one of the better online retailers, but I find their multiple shipping charges a joke. Im buying from RA, not their wholesalers, why is it my responsibilty to pay shipping charges direct from the wholesaler? They are one of the few places that actually does this. Rock auto is the only place I can think of where a person can order 3 diiferent things and have it ship from three different places.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I order from them a LOT for my shop. Mostly sensors and cats. Depending on which warehouse they ship from, sometimes I have the stuff the next day (and I pay for cheapest shipping!). So far nothing has been faulty or damaged or incorrect.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Oreillys won't discount some items. We have an account at work and I get many items from them. All other parts I get from rock auto. No problems with either company.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've haven't ordered as much as some here, probably about $600-700 worth of stuff. But in that amount, I've never had a problem and I got my parts fast. I would use them again right this minute if I needed to.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
rockauto is super! never have an issue when i order from these guys.i know it's coming quick with no worries at all when i order here.
A+ rating in my experience.

5% off. Expires OCT 14

Sorry to bring this back up, but where do you enter that discount code?

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't remember exactly what its called but there is a box that is labeled something like "how did you hear of us?" It's at the bottom of the page when you review your cart and check shipping.

Those discount codes are all over the internet. I always look and find one when I order from Rock Auto.

Reaction score
I know this may make me sound like a broken record, but I have to reiterate how dissatisfied I am with their packaging. In the last week, I have ordered a bunch of parts for all my vehicles both from Amazon and from RockAuto. The RockAuto order was for a lower radiator hose and a set of valve cover gaskets. They came in two shipments. The first one I received was the hose, crammed into a box so small they had to double the hose over on itself. There was no bubble wrap or any other type of protection. The box had a bunch of fine metal particles in it, too. I have no clue what they were, but they were definitely metallic since the magnet they always throw in had attracted most of it. I flushed the hose out twice to make sure they didnt end up in my cooling system. The box itself looked like it had been dragged behind the truck the last 5 miles to my house. The valve cover gaskets arrived a day later. Not surprisingly, the box was a flimsy piece of junk that in no way was up to the task of keeping the gaskets from being bent. Again, there was zero padding in the box, nor was it marked 'do not bend' or something similar as you would expect for a part like this. And, of course, the box was bent and creased to hell.

Juxtapose this with my part order from Amazon, which came the same day as the hose. Both boxes were on the porch next to one another, and while the RockAuto box looked like it had been through a war zone, the Amazon box was completely unscathed. It was a much sturdier box that was appropriately sized for its contents. Inside, my motorcycle oil filter and the Fumoto drain valve I had ordered for the truck were neatly shrink-wrapped to a sturdy piece of cardboard to ensure they didn't jostle inside the box. And all this was done with free Super Saver shipping. If I had ordered them from RockAuto, they would've shown up in God knows what kind of condition with the insult on injury being that I would've paid for shipping (likely extra since they'd come from separate warehouses. Why that cost is passed on to the customer is beyond me).

Granted, neither of these parts are overly fragile, but it stands to reason that they'll show the same 'care' when packaging something that is susceptible to shipping damage and I don't want to deal with returns when that happens. So, for now, I think I'm shelving RockAuto as a source. They're a great research tool, but I'll stick with Amazon for online shopping and my favorite local brick-and-mortars for everything else.

Mike

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
99% of what they ship isnt going to be harmed by being tossed around. If youve ever seen the bulk shipment containers that your friendly local parts stores get THEIR stuff shipped to store in, y'all would quit whimpering , as they dont get so much as a slice of wadded paper thrown in to keep things from bouncing around, and neither do dealer parts shipments. Heck, mercedes will throw new bumpers on a ups truck with just a single wrap of paper around it sometimes.

I've bought tons of stuff from RA, only had a problem once on some steering parts where teh catalog was goofed up and they handled teh return without a fuss. The right parts were here day after I sent out the wrong ones

Reaction score
Worked the counter at Kragen (now O'Reilly) and Autozone for 7 years, so I know exactly what you are talking about. The difference, though, is that I can refuse a part before paying for it if they bring me something from the back that looks like these parts do/did.

Mike

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
I am among the "very happy with Rockauto" crowd. I default to them on almost everything I get online, which is typically the stuff the local guys don't have anymore, or it takes them a long time to get.

I ordered a clutch kit from them when I was doing the engine swap on the blue truck, and it was in the original box, which was at one point probably strapped to a pallet with a bunch of other parts, no problem in that manner... But when you ship it by it's lonesome, the box is inadequate to hold in the pressure plate and disc... Well the throwout bearing was broken. I took a picture of it and sent it to them, they sent me a brand new TIMKEN bearing, way better quality that the p.o.s bearing supplied with the clutch kit. ;Sweet

Compare that to Advance auto parts. I ordered a full set of lifters from them, here's how they showed up... :mad:
You must be registered for see images attach

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
Justin, was that your order of lifters from rockauto?last Tuesday i ordered my parts for the head job i have up coming on my truck, i had EVERYTHING by Thursday. the valley pan had a small bend in it but that WAS NOT rockauto's fault that was the people at felpro.those of you who complain of their BAD packaging, I have NEVER had a SINGLE dent or ding in ANY box from them. there has NEVER been ANY lack of protective packaging inside the box. they ALWAYS use boxes that are MUCH BIGGER than the item being shipped. IMHO the box that my latest parts came i could have been at least HALF the size that it was. if you would like i can get some pics of the box and the packaging tomorrow.