Anyone have an idea what's this thing for?

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
What the heck is this?

You must be registered for see images attach

Back view.

You must be registered for see images attach

This is on the motorhome. Dana 70 axle.

Thanks

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It somehow proportions the rear braking according to the load on the rearend. I will wait with you for the official term for it.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There isn't much too it to fail, as long as it isn't leaking. As more weight is shifted to the rear it puts more braking back there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As the vehicle has more weight put in it the rear end of the rig settles lower into the springs. This body movement applies more braking pressure to the rear brakes by either opening or closeing this valve. One way to test it is to remove the lever and push it al the way in one direction. Then drive it ans see how it stops but make sure you have plenty of room in front of the rig. Then push the rod or lever the other direction and drive it again. It may surprise you how this valave works....

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The load adjusting proportioning valve was also used on toyota trucks and if you bent the link rod you could "fine tune" the proportioning. Most guys just remove'em for rock crawling. My 81 still has it. For it's intent purpose it is very functional.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One way to test it is to remove the lever and push it al the way in one direction. Then drive it ans see how it stops but make sure you have plenty of room in front of the rig. Then push the rod or lever the other direction and drive it again. It may surprise you how this valave works....
That would be my suggestion too - with the linkage unhooked and hanging all the way down there should be fairly weak braking, but if you zip-tie the valve with the linkage all the way up then you may just lock the rear wheels real easy.