Anyone Buyin'?

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all these nice "deals" on new trucks... is anyone considering moving out of their IDI?

The ads have my attention, but I cannot succumb... the force has too strong a hold for me to get out of the IDI.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope.
For the price of one new truck, I can buy two decent rental grade homes here in my little town in TX.... ;Sweet

fiverpuller

Lizard Limo
Reaction score
I was hitting the dodge lots pretty hard for a while...I avoided their evil by talking not driving one. Then I found the crew cab and couldn't be happier! $2500 and a couple weekends of work and it purrs. A friend I was shopping with bought a new cummins. Nice rig but you can tell the days he has to send the payment out. :rotflmao

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's cool... I've been playing with that idea, myself. Have avoided it so far due lack of time to deal with renters. :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
fact is, when I get a ton of gravel dumped into the old truck or have a pallet of railroad ties loaded in, I don't even cringe.

As long as I'm using my trucks for work, they should be work trucks :)

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, with the trashing they get from announcing it here, do you honestly think anybody is brave enough to say anything about buying a new truck in fron of Mel and the lightsabre gang? cookoo Heck, drop by lesterville and you'll see four trucks posted openly in the IDI section "for sale". I can understand the ones needing a bigger truck. If they move up to a SC or a CC IDI. But its absolutely nutty to be paying the prices people are paying for a new truck these days. Especially when you see where the value is at in about six years. while out here, I bought four '99-'01's for a friend's construction fleet. All are "texas abused" but his guys won't know the difference. It's funny tho, his senior job foremen won't let go of their 300-6's. cookoo cookoo

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Most guys around here that are buying new trucks are buying 1/2 tons ie F-150s-1500 Chevs and 1500 Dodge Hemi's. New diesel trucks are not selling like they used to if people are buying 3/4 tons they are V-10 powered.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed today that Dodge seems to have the best powertrain warranty. I want to say it was 72,000 miles, 7 years vs Ford and GM's 3 year, 36k (half ton trucks, not diesels). Better rust warranty, too.

Not that I have the $$$ to buy, but that's not too bad.

My IDI only has rust where aftermarket stuff's been secured to the sheetmetal via screws. I'll have to get after that.

rthomas

Reaction score
if i had a company that did a decent amount of busness and needed a tax dump id consider it. personaly im pretty happy with my old idi, its still a decent truck and hasnt given me a bunch of problems, if it had i might think differently

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
ohh but there are so many other fun things to 'loose money' on while in business. Why waste it all on the never ending cycle of new trucks?

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did ditch my Suburban and got me a brand spankin new Jeep Rubicon. I fought ove and over with the wife, and now I have two awesome vehicles, the Ford, and the Rubicon Unlimited. I have wanted one, since they came out, and with the deals and all, it was a good time to buy.

OldiesF250

dedicated....
Reaction score
even though my truck is a P.O.S. (sorry to say that, but for the most part its the truth), i like it for the most part. the only reason i say that about the truck is because of the rust. it was coated with ziebart and when it started to rust, the company said it was inside out which was true because water got through the "rust barrier" and just sat on the frame and areas that were coated. i couldnt even begin to imagine how tough it would be to swap out a frame on this thing. if i did that, id go the whole 9 yards and replace all the panels and probably even the cab since id have to take apart the interior.

but, i took a few friends for a cruise and they said that the seats are the most comfortable they have ever sat in, i guess that's what 20 years does to a seat. so at least i have a little something on the newer vehicles...

pafixitman

Reaction score
Buyin'

I would be hard pressed to ever buy another new vehicle. As for my truck I have the leather buckets which make the ride so much nicer! I just did 855 miles for the IDI weekend and averaged 12.5 mpg this includes the dragstrip runs and pulling the 5'r.

I have an ATS turbo waiting to be installed, and propane parts are in the mail. Toying w/ DPS stage 1 injectors, Holley Red pump, RDT and a Ghost tube intake.

Thanks to Waco_pilot I have a steering gear box to rebuild. Needs tie rods still. Picked up a filter head for my aux trans filter at the rally.

Why would I want something I can't work on? cookoo I'm having too much fun with this truck! ;Sweet

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I would be hard pressed to ever buy another new vehicle. As for my truck I have the leather buckets which make the ride so much nicer! I just did 855 miles for the IDI weekend and averaged 12.5 mpg this includes the dragstrip runs and pulling the 5'r.

I have an ATS turbo waiting to be installed, and propane parts are in the mail. Toying w/ DPS stage 1 injectors, Holley Red pump, RDT and a Ghost tube intake.

Thanks to Waco_pilot I have a steering gear box to rebuild. Needs tie rods still. Picked up a filter head for my aux trans filter at the rally.

Why would I want something I can't work on? cookoo I'm having too much fun with this truck! ;Sweet

I hear ya Joe and Calvin,

I made my first IDI rally and ran both the IDI and an '03 6.0L and boy could you have seen the look of the "Force" when I rolled in. :***: -Flame Thr

Joe you saw the size of the cow versus the slide in unit on Goldie?
I got the same mileage on both trucks on the way down running the same speeds 65 mph......13.83 :eek:
Ya even tho the stroke is for the wife to drive, I can only do the necessary maintenance on it and the Stealership is up to the rest. :puke:

I'll keep my 2 IDI's for the good stuff and can easily and affordably work on em and have no problem loading them up with fire wood or anything else that might need a tuggin'. ;Sweet

The price was $44,600 but with the x-plan and $6,300 in rebates on the '03 model, we couldn't turn it down.....$32,400 out the door. Still pricey but was the sticker price for the ga$$er comparables. :eek:

Ron

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online