anybody with a gearvendors unit?

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if anyone has a gearvendors over/under unit and could tell me if it was worth it and how long it took to install?

jperecko

Diesel Ape
Reaction score
there are several on here with them and I have heard nothing but good stuff about them. Installation should be pretty much bolt-on but you will need to modify your driveshaft or have it done for you.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have one on my truck. The cross member stayed in the same location. Only the drive shaft was cut down. Its really an easy installation. I actually have two units. The GV in my truck fits the E4OD and the spare fits a C6 trans. The units will fit any trans but you will need the adapter for a given trans. Those GV wont sell outrite but... They will take one in trade plus around $350.00... If you don't have a trade your out of luck... There is a C6 adapter up for bids now on Ebay plus there are a couple of others. May be of some interest. If you buy one that does not fit your trans at least you can get the correct one by tradeing it in to GV and paying the extorsion they want...

3d_danny

Reaction score
I just installed a new GV on my 91 F250 Super Cab. It is a little different than the ones that bolt to the transmission. Mine replaced the carrier bearing in the driveshaft. I had to have a new drive shaft made for the front and the rear shaft shortened. It took longer to get the shafts modified than installing the overdrive. I probably had 5-6 hours in it but I really wasn't in a hurry because I had the truck laid up doing major maintenance to it.

I just road tested it yesterday and with the new Banks turbo, the overdrive, new brakes and Bilsteins, new radiator, hoses and belts, its like I just bought a new truck.

It definitely put the joy back in driving...:Thumbs Up:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two trucks, with both styles. The installs are extremely easy. In fact, you will spend more time installing the controller and associated wiring, then you will bolting the unit in. Aside from the driveshaft modification, it is a no brainer. They are very reliable and work as advertised, and yes... it is like a different (better) truck when your done, and you will feel that whatever money you spent was worth it.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you that the unit in my dads truck has a GV rear t-case half along with the adapter and unit. If you are putting one in a 4x4, you may need to crack the t-case. This may add time and expense since you never know what you'll find once you're in there.
Travis..

crash86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok thanks guys i cant wait till this weekend so i can install the turbo and the GV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online