Anybody rebuild starters?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the original starter I removed from my 92 F250 to install a DB Electrical. It was working, but cranking real slow. Anybody rebuild them successfully? Should I hold onto it or scrap it?

Ryan

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bushing and brushes are cheap if you can locate them. Not sure of gear drives but on direct drive a slightly worn bushing slows a starter a considerable amount.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get new brushes(<$20) and a new solenoid ($25 on ebay). Disasemble, clean, re-grease moving parts and reassemble. It'll be a practically new starter at that point, assuming npthing is obviously broken inside.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a good source for quality brushes, bushings, and bearing that we need for this assuming the winding are good? Just curious. I don't know where to go for this type of part.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ebay is where I always go.

And for grease... I just used wheel bearing grease. Whatever decent stuff I have around for use in everything.
I don't see why a starter bearing or gears would be any different than a wheel bearing and hub assembly...

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
Main thing is you don't want enough to migrate onto the armature. Conductive material will collect in the grease in between the contacts and cause a short.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you let the smoke out of a starter no need to rebuild it. Smoke means the coils or armature is burned up.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you let the smoke out of a starter no need to rebuild it. Smoke means the coils or armature is burned up.
Check it anyway, though. It's possible to get smoke and flames out of the solenoid, and that's not counting smoke from all the oil deposited on the starter from years of (ab)use.

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
I went back and forth on this after I removed mine. I had a seriously fried hot lead on the starter and figured if things got hot enough to make that happen, it could not have been good for the internals. I returned it for the core charge, which I used to replace the bad part on a vehicle I am flipping - payout of $2k on a starter I can live with that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online