anybody have any idea how to fix the ford fuel guage?

7.3 man

7.3 idi man
Reaction score
I have a 1990 f350 1 ton and I fill it up and the guage goes to 3/4 and stays there, I have to clean my flexable platic rod and stick in the tank. I'd like to know how to fix this, the truck has 95,000 miles I checked the sending units and they had power. I'd like to fix this once and for all. :)

Anybody please write back :)

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Well, the sending unit could be bad. I would pull it, hook up a DMM to the leads and check to see if the resistance changes smoothly as you sweep the arm.
Also check your grounds, make sure they haven't corroded, or magically unhooked themselves.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Once you pull the sending unit, fix your sump and you can gently bend the arm for the fuel gauge until you have it reading where you would like it. This is after you verified its operation as stated above.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not quite that easy as stated above. If you have two tanks, which I think you have cause I have a 90 F350, you have to drop the rear tank to get at the sender unit, the front tank, you can pull the sender out without dropping the tank, Your odometer may say95,000, but how many times has it rolled over, probably twice. Be carefull of those sending units, there very expensive if you can find them. When you get one out, you can ground it with a jumper wire, turn the key on, have someone watch the fuel guage as you advance the arm slowly, see what it does. the filter socks are expensive also, about $11. The pic may not be exactly what your's looks like but it's close, your's may only be a three pole connector. It may have a brass float on it, don't squeeze it, they are very thin, new are $14

Attachments

• fuel sender pic.jpg
    fuel sender pic.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited: