Anybody got a spare tach sensor?

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
I might have a "toasted" one laying around:D . Would that be in your budget? Scrape some of that "Gold " paint off yer truck and trade it at Stealership:rotflmao . Sorry, it just seems that with all the goodies you have on yer truck that you could afford "Stealership" prices. Hell, you don't even have a E4OD that NEEDS a tach sensor. Keep yer eyes on the road and you won't even need one.;Poke in fun at ya, OkieGringo

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I might have a "toasted" one laying around:D . Would that be in your budget? Scrape some of that "Gold " paint off yer truck and trade it at Stealership:rotflmao . Sorry, it just seems that with all the goodies you have on yer truck that you could afford "Stealership" prices. Hell, you don't even have a E4OD that NEEDS a tach sensor. Keep yer eyes on the road and you won't even need one.;Poke in fun at ya, OkieGringo
Well, I already have a couple of toasted ones, thank you very much. BTW, my truck isn't gold (?) it is tan & brown. Now that you mention it, the silver trim in my avatar does kinda' look gold though, doesn't it?

FYI, the only "goodies" on my avatar truck (custom Y-pipe, and dual ram-air) are home-brewed mods. The "goodies" on my other truck (dualies, and turbo) were already on it when I bought it. The ZF in that one I did on the cheap - but only 'cause the T-19 needed repair.

No expensive aftermarket goodies on either of my trucks. I'm too cheap for that...

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Take one of your "toasted" ones and stick a short piece of a paper clip into the sensor where the wire goes in, strip the plastic off the wire and untwist the strands, then wrap the strands back around the piece of p-clip. Solder or heat shrink the connection. :dunno OkieGringo

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take one of your "toasted" ones and stick a short piece of a paper clip into the sensor where the wire goes in, strip the plastic off the wire and untwist the strands, then wrap the strands back around the piece of p-clip. Solder or heat shrink the connection. :dunno OkieGringo

Wish it were that easy. One of the toasted ones had the wires cut off - without even "stubs" left. Cut off completely flush. I decided to try to repair it, so I used a sharp awl to dig the hard plastic out around the ends of the wires and to strip the insulation off the 1/8" stubs of wire I exposed. Then I used my soldering iron to solder a "button" of solder on each stub.

Next I took a couple of short pieces of wire, stripped about 1/8" of insulation off the end and "tinned" them with solder. Lastly, I melted the "tinned" ends of the wires to the solder "buttons" on the top of the sensor. Hooked it up and.......

.......it is no better than the one that was already in the truck. Needle just kind of jumps around most of the time - then intermittently it will actually kick in and work like it should for a few minutes at a time. The connections are good - I can tug the wires and they don't come loose. The problem is that something internal to the sensor is whonky.

I suspect something about the Hall Effect unit inside the main body of the sensor gets gibbled and there isn't much you can do but replace it. When its narfed its narfed.....