Any reason not to paint a turbo?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm restoring an 82 toyota landcruiser for a guy and am currently rebuilding the 3B diesel engine. I'm pretty picky about stuff looking perfect so I've restored every little part that goes back on the engine down to the hardware.

Opened the turbo kit that the bought for it today, looks realy nice but the intake manifold and exhaust turbine housing are bare cast iron and are already showing signs of flash rust, is ther any reason I can't disassemble the turbo and paint those parts? I'd be using "Cast blast" a paint made for cast iron parts up to 1200 degrees.

Thanks,

-Rob

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The paint will cook of the turbine in no time....minutes with regular paint. Just like painting the exhaust manifolds, won't last long. You may get a bit of time with that high temp stuff, but it still is going to be short lived. The compressor side might hold paint for a while though.

Heath

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cast blast stuff has been on the headers on my 69 cougar for 5 years now and looks great (351w engine). Would a turbo get hotter than these headers?

-Rob

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Turbo can see temp as high at 1500 degs.(not recommended though) I've used some hight temp paints or manifolds, but like it's been said it wont last too long.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Ceramic coat them. Here are some pics of my turbo housings for my 83 6.9.
You must be registered for see images

I havent got it on yet so no pics of it in the truck.
That ceramic coating is warrantied not to burn off or flake off from salt for 8,000 running hours.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Well the company does make a product line of coatings that you can buy and apply yourself but its not the same grade as the professional stuff, and without the proper equipment to bake it on and everything you might as well just spray bomb it with that high temp paint and save yourself some money.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cast Blast

I havent had luck with cast blast.
I painted misc. pieces on my Maverick and they rusted.
I bead blasted the parts and painted them.
I did not Primer them.
I was told that was why, But Since then I dont use it.

On my compressor housing I blasted it and used some of th ehigh heat paint that has ceramic in it.
I think it is good to 1200 deg.
or so.
Good luxck.
John

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thanks Fish! That coming from you means allot to me.
Maybe I AM doing something right, lol.
And I havent got banned in the process this time! lol

high psi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Compressor side should hold paint for a long time if it is applied well. Turbine side you should probably either not worry about, or go the whole way & have it ceramic coated as mentioned before. Bearing housing (center section) will hold paint for awhile but will eventaully start to rust on the side closest to the exhaust. Personally I would probably leave it alone, but it all depends how far your customer wants to take it and what they are willing to spend.