Any good IDI repair shops in Detroit?

ClockwerkRat

Reaction score
I’ve got a pretty bad chuff on the rear passenger side cylinder. I’m thinking I can pull the engine then the head, but am looking for a shop locally that would be able to install new guides if that turns out to be the issue. Any recommendations?

Also, if someone has a recommendation for a shop that could just do the whole job that would also be appreciated as between work and a newborn I’m finding that I have less and less time for these big jobs.

Thanks in advance!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I don't know about any machine shops in Detroit, but here's some advice. Before you pull the engine, remove the valve covers and look at the underneath and at the head. If you have valve guide issues, you'll be able to see some dirty or sooty looking stuff on the head, the valve springs, and/or the under side of the valve cover. The chuff is almost always a bad guide or guides, but this will tell you 100%. It's slightly possible that it could be a miss and checking first could save you a lot of frustration if you only need to replace an injector. Since I'm assuming that you're right and it if a bad guide/s, do yourself a favor and have both heads done at the same time. You don't want to have to do this all over again in a few thousand miles if a guide on the other head has issues that you don't know about right now. My opinion is that if one guide is bad, then the others can't be far behind.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bossviking